Anderson, Indiana
1.3K views 1 comment

I had a filling on my back tooth that had managed to chip off.The dentist fixed the filling and a few days later I started experiencing really bad pain.

Hot, cold, hard, soft everything hurt. Being that I'm on a budget I was afraid to go back because I knew I didn't have the money to fix it. I finally did and apparently my tooth had cracked when the filling was replaced. They had to extract my tooth because so much tooth was removed to fix the filling that there was nothing there to crown.

Feels much better, but really upset that I had to lose a tooth at 22 and it wasn't even my fault.

Now I fear I have to go back because I may have a dry socket.Not sure if it was the dentist fault, but I have never had issues like this in the past and I have many fillings/replacement fillings.

Review about: Tooth Extraction.

I liked: Staff, Timeliness, Look of the office, Fixed mistake for free.

I didn't like: Mistake resulting in extraction.

3.6
Reason of Review / Monetary Loss Poor customer service / Not specified
Preferred solution Not specified

Had an Experience with Aspen Dental?

Submit review

Comments

Seasoned Dentist
Topeka, Kansas, United States #918612

Sometimes it is impossible to know if the pulp in a tooth will heal or not.Sometimes when a deep filling is done, it pushes the pulp over the limit, and it becomes very inflamed.

You get symptoms like you did. Incidentally, it happens far more often with white plastic fillings than silver amalgams. Large white resin fillings seldom last long on second molars.

But what I do not understand is why a root canal was not done. When a pulp is inflamed, one can have a root canal, then a crown.

Yes, this is expensive, but sure cheaper than having a bone graft and implant.

I cannot guarantee you an inflamed pulp would not have occurred had you gone to a better dentist, but at least the tooth would be saved.

Please have a socket preservation graft done as soon as possible so an implant may be placed later. If you don't, there will not be enough bone left.

Think about the wisdom of going to a chain dental clinic owned by a leveraged buyout group instead of dentists.

It is a revolving door of young dentists, as nobody wants to work in these places for long.Find yourself a reputable, experienced dentist who owns his own practice and stick with him.