Greenfield, Massachusetts
4.8K views 14 comments

Update by user Feb 10

My issue was resolved by getting my impacted wisdom teeth removed.I have excellent dental screenings and cleanings annually.

I do not have periodontal disease according to my family dentist. Aspen was wrong in this situation.

It is what it is now.I have never recommended them since this incident and still never will.

Update by user Sep 06, 2011

Just want to add that I found my new Primary dentist. After looking at my teeth, they told me that I DO NOT have Peridontal Disease, and that I DID NOT need periodontal surgery. This has led me to the conclusion that Aspen did not know what they were doing, misdiagnosed, and has gotten away with robbery.

Update by user Aug 07, 2011

The dentist has decided to work with me.Not the hygenist that did the work, but the dentist.

Because of this, my issue has been resolved.Unfortunately it is a lengthy process to delete this complaint, however, I will begin the work to do so.

Update by user Aug 06, 2011

I apologize the Arestion and SRP was done on the right side, not the left. And unfortunately you can\'t see the first picture, but it was showing blood coming from the back of my mouth where my impacted wisdom tooth is.

Update by user Aug 06, 2011

This First Picture was the orginial problem. The second is what Aspen Decided to do about it which did not solve it. The third is the left side of my mouth untouched.

Original review posted by user Aug 06, 2011

I am 23 year old female with good health.I still have all 4 wisdom teeth.

The morning of 8/5/2011 at 3am I woke up with a mouth full of blood from one of my wisdom teeth, the one that has given me plenty of issues. Immediately, I googled my options. Aspen Dental came up and had an open appointment at 11am that morning. They took me earlier, which was fine.

They did X-Rays and a consultation. At the end they said I had 8 Cavities and Advanced Periodontal Disease. So out of curiousity, and knowing nothing about that subject I asked "what role does that play with my wisdom tooth that is bleeding", they said "you definitely need to take those out soon", which I understand. They told me that it was highly important for me to get and SRP asap, so that my teeth don't fall out.

Now to any eye, my teeth look healthy. I went through with this SRP and they implanted Arestin into my gums, only on the left side. All of this totaled $2,384 dollars, and did not include the primary reason for going.

This is where my frustration comes in.

I went to get a second opinion the second day because, my wisdom teeth are still in tact and I now have flapping gums and things that I have never experienced. This denstist said, my bones where all the way up to my teeth and that I have gingivitis not Periodontal Disease. No one at Aspen was a Periodontis. Now I have a right side that is bleeding in my mouth, gums flapping around, and the fear that the original problem will come up again as it had not been solved.

They put a total of 27 Arestin just on the left side of my mouth, each Arestin costing $37 costing $1000. They did not do a deep cleaning, or anything else.

The total bill mentioned above.Lets just say that, this is not the end, thankfully I have strong healthy teeth, with gums that could be worked on and I plan to take them to court.

Review about: Dental Appointment.

PRODUCT OR SERVICE
Not specified
Reason of Review / Monetary Loss Not specified / Not specified
Preferred solution Not specified

Had an Experience with Aspen Dental?

Submit review

Comments

TrinaHygienist
Arrestin has dubious value. It was ridiculous putting that many Arrestin in your mouth.
A patient can have bleeding around partially erupted wisdom teeth, and little gum problems with their other teeth. Often removal of the wisdom teeth get the bacterial count down.
There is a condition known as trench mouth that sometimes happen as wisdom teeth erupt. The bacterial population skyrockets and morphs into more dangerous species. Patients get a bad taste and a lot of bleeding. This could have been what happened as well.
to TrinaHygienist Charlestown, Massachusetts, United States #1289695
Wow, that's an excellent explanation of what was probably going on. I hope more dental hygienists like you are put in the field! Thanks for your very educated comment!
Maybe try brushing your teeth more than once a week? Just a suggestion.
to Anonymous #1284493
Maybe don't make such assumptions because you're a either upset with my review or b, maybe someone who works at Aspen. My teeth are in and were in excellent condition.
Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa #1207704
Perhaps you should have paid some attention to your dental health in the form of preventive exams and cleanings well before the age if 23, so that you would not be experiencing such advanced gum disease now. And btw, Google is not a reliable referral source for quality medical professionals.
ANON
to Anonymous Germantown, Ohio, United States #1284476
Sometimes you really don't have a choice. I was never taken to the dentist growing up as my parents never saw it as important. The first chance I got to go was when a tooth broke and my parents couldn't just sweep it under the rug anymore. Don't be so quick to judge.
to ANON #1284495
I had a choice. Coming from a military family, we had great insurance. They took advantage of me at the time when I was scared and vulnerable because of an infected and impacted wisdom tooth. Those have since been removed, and my dental health is fine. They only operated SRP on one side of my mouth at Aspen...so I can't credit my dental hygiene to them but can officially say my impacted wisdom teeth were the problem and it was not some form of advanced gum disease or periodontal disease.
to ANON #1284497
Anon,
That sucks. I'm glad though as an adult you can now make those decisions yourself. I know someone who has lost many teeth because their parents didn't care for their dental hygiene. It's too bad. Sorry for your broken tooth.
to Anonymous #1284494
Thanks for your assumption based response. They took advantage of me and that's the end of it.
Gone to aspen for dental work.Lost several perfectly good teeth.The fake porcelain teeth they replaced them with were so uneven.I paid over $7,000.00.I'm so unsatisfied.How does a Dentice put in badly molded teeth and look you in the eye telling you they look perfect.Takes nerves...and I'm pissed off...