1011 Charleston Avenue, Mattoon, IL 61938

On July 2,2019 I had my initial appointment with Aspen Dental in Mattoon, Illinois. Historically I have always had great check ups until coming here.

I had come for the initial visit in hopes of the end result of just getting my teeth cleaned. After exam and x-ray, I had no cavities but they said I needed scaling in 2 of my teeth. This didn’t sound like a big deal to me. When I called initially, I was told the cost of a cleaning was $75 which I thought was pretty good.

Upon checking out and setting up my follow up appointment for my cleaning and scaling I was presented with a bill for $775.00. Needless to say, I was not pleased. I told them that I could not afford this and I would just like to get the cleaning without the scaling procedure. Upon hearing this, the dentist came out and said that I had to have the whole process or he was not the dentist for me.

Since when can’t a patient decide which aspects of their care they want and which they don’t? This was a high pressure sales pitch instead of a doctor/patient interaction.

The whole experience was very traumatic and I would highly recommend not using this dental practice. These people should be ashamed of themselves.

Product or Service Mentioned: Aspen Dental Dental Cleaning.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

Aspen Dental Cons: Dentist.

• dental fraud

Comments

When Aspen Dental Scam Shop talks about "Deep Cleaning,' they are talking about deep cleaning your wallet, not your teeth.

Get a second opinion. I bet the deep,deep cleaning they did was total bull in the first place. Like how they sprung a huge bill on you for it?

So you are mad that they recommended something to help keep your gums healthy? Since when did you think health care is like picking toppings at Subway?

You will always find problems when you go the cheapest route possible. Would you tell a heart doctor what aspects of care you want or you don’t?

Why not show the dentist you saw some respect and listen to their professional opinion. It is fine to go to another office and get a second or third opinion but you don’t dictate treatment, let the doctors handle that

@Anonymous

No you are wrong *** I do dictate my treatment. Thinking like that will get you killed by some quack. In answer to your question, since I was an RN for many years, if I found any aspect of my care inappropriate or too cost restrictive I would refuse it.

The miracle is they only recommended scaling two teeth. They usually recommened $2000 scaling of the whole mouth, even on healthy gums.

Your don't just "get your teeth cleaned" at a new dentist. Any new dentist will have to take x-rays and examine you. That is why it pays to stick with a good dentist over a long period of time. Look, it sounds like you are conscientious about taking care of your teeth.

Yet you tried to cheap out and go to a corporate scam operation you probably heard about on TV. For goodness sakes, find an honest independent dentist in your area BY TALKING TO TRUSTWORTHY FRIENDS AND COWORKERS.

#1712058
@Anonymous

Yes I did have the x-rays as well which were only $19. I did try to go the cheap route but I was totally unaware that Aspen was like this.

Thanks for the advice on finding a reputable dentist. I have an appointment next week