3.0
Additional Fees

I made a big error of judgement when I decided to call Aspen Dental instead of using my regular dentist. I thought I could save some money, but it cost me more money and alot more pain.

Right after my initial exam, I was escorted into the office managers office to go over the costs of the impending dental work. He offered to finance the $480, which I agreed to. However, later when I tried to get reimbursed from my $150 insurance dental benefit, Aspen refused to help me with this refund. This benefit from my insurance is for exams and cleaning. I have never had a problem with making this claim with my other dentist. Aspen claims all their exams and cleanings are free so therefore it would be fraudulent for them to allow me documents to submit to my insurance. So now I am forfeiting the $150 that was due to me.

They extracted my bottom molar after about 16 shots of novacane it still hurt. The dentist was not gentle. I was so totally drained from the experience that I had to take a 15 min breather before I could even drive home. Then to top it all off, I got a dry socket because I was not given proper information on how to care for it. They did not inform me how important it is to leave the gauze on your extraction to keep the blood clot from dislodging. I learned about this importance later from someone who had an extraction from another dentist. I was in excruciating pain for two weeks, and ended up going back twice for packing with a pain solution. Not only was I in pain I had to miss a week of work that also cost me money.

I feel like I was mislead and did not receive proper care. I will never receive treatment from them again. I will be sure to tell everyone I know not to go to Aspen Dental.

Product or Service Mentioned: Aspen Dental Tooth Extraction.

Reason of review: Bad quality.

I liked: Reception area, Atmosphere was pleasant.

I didn't like: Not getting all our money back, Poor service - lost my insurance money - suffering pain.

Comments

If your cleaning was indeed free, you are not due any money. The insurance benefits could go toward other treatment you need.

Or in Aspen's case, toward treatment you really did not need at all. But I predict they will bill your insurance company for that "free" cleaning eventually. They usually do, and have gotten in trouble for it before. Why did you extract that molar instead of save it?

Dry sockets can happen to anyone, no matter how careful they are. They are more apt to happen when many injections had to be given. The remedy is repack the socket every couple of days.

It is important to have a socket preservation bone graft soon if you want to have an implant later. No, your insurance will not pay for it.

h.kitchener

I don't know why you would think your insurance should just give you $150 for an exam and cleaning you didn't have. You either fail to understand this simple concept or are looking to defray some of the cost charged by Aspen.

They are correct, you are wrong. As for the dry socket, this is not that uncommon and happens. And, it is definitely painful. You went back twice for repacking.

This is the correct procedure. If they didn't warn you about the possibility of a dry socket, they should have. That's the only thing I would criticize in their care.

Time to move on. Actually, you really should have gone to your regular dentist in the first place.