Review about Aspen Dental Wisdom Teeth Extraction from Fort Dodge, Iowa

Woke up twice during wisdom (4) extraction. Never once did the oral surgeon stop/pause until I was out again. I was actually told to be quiet; apparently I was yelling. I could hear myself, no one was responding, so I didn't know THEY could hear me.

Now I'm being sent another bill because they had to use more anesthesia (via IV) than planned.

I was told by a staff member that one assistants sole job is to stare at the monitor to make sure waking up doesn't happen during surgery. She told me her horror story during a surgical procedure... Told me to relax and rest easy. Keep in mind, this all happened AFTER being rescheduled and moved around appointment times 4 times previous to the surgery. 4, then 2. 3... Then 2. Back to 3. Oops, they meant 4.) Before heading back to the operating room, I was told the surgeon still planned on being done and out of the office by 6:00. (I didn't go back to the room until 4:45.)

So, is that why when I came to, twice, he didn't stop working for a minute to reassure me and let me fall back under anesthesia?

This review is a subjective opinion of a user.
Report Comment Private message author

Aspen Dental Wisdom Teeth Extraction
Review category
Hospitals, Clinics and Medical Centers, Doctors
review #668250 by

Author wants to be contacted by the company. Learn more

Had an experience with Aspen Dental? Submit review ›
Helpful? 5 Yes 5 0 No 0
Had the same issue 5 Yes 5
Comment as anonymous As anonymous or Log in
OR Is it your business? Respond to your
customers as verified company representative.
Apply for a Free Plan

Jan 13 #1093876

They tried to charge me $1100 just to clean my teeth and tried to get me to buy a $125 tooth brush and and said it would take 3 or 4 appointment s to get this heavy cleaning done . I have insurance that covers preventative care so I switched to different dentist got my check up and cleaning nothing wrong with my teeth . Aspen dental never again

0 0 Reply

Jul 20, 2015 #1009721 Tupelo, Mississippi

What purpose is your photo supposed to serve? It is normal to be swollen after hard wisdom tooth extractions!

6 3 Reply

Jul 20, 2015 #1009784

Sam- the purpose it serves is to show people that I am a human being who actually went through the procedure. That I'm not sitting here writing bogus reviews and being mean.
I have been through enough, so take your negativity elsewhere.
I ended up being transported from Waterloo to Iowa City last night; swelling was down my neck, to my collar bone- so if you would have patience and maybe sit back down on the attitude of yours, you could patiently wait for my photo updates.
Swelling IS normal. Bruising IS normal. Not being able to swallow or BREATHE is NOT normal.
Again- this has been scarring enough. Please step back and realize adding attitude doesn't help me.
Thanks. Update: I will be going in to discuss all issues regarding my surgery with my regular dentist today.

10 4 Reply

Jul 20, 2015 #1009845 Tupelo, Mississippi

You did not say anything about not being able to breathe in your original post. All you talked about was sedation not working completely, and your appointment times being honored.

8 0 Reply

Jul 20, 2015 #1009997

Yuk! Hate this happened to you.

Jul 21, 2015 #1010329

I just need to voice! ;-)

3 0

Oct 01, 2015 #1042087

Cassie... Seasoned Dentist down there is correct, you should not have been put under, there are so many more complications that can happen.

1 0 Reply

Jul 20, 2015 #1009606

WOW!! is all that i can say. They treated you with no respect!!! You need to file a complaint against this horrible place.

5 0 Reply
Seasoned Dentist

Jul 19, 2015 #1009474 Topeka, Kansas

Strange that with sedation, an amnesiac like Valium is usually given, so the patient forgets everything that happen.
Some people are unpredictable to sedate. You might be one of them.
Incidentally, I take impacted wisdom teeth out all the time with oral Valium, laughing gas, and local anesthetic. Complete surgical anesthesia is really overkill, unless you had some very unusual circumstances.
I don't understand. You had this done at a hospital, and not an A$pen Dental clinic? If so, why are you posting it as an A$pen Dental complaint?
You would do much better going to most any private dental practice instead of this sleazy corporate chain.

8 0 Reply

Jul 19, 2015 #1009546 Waterloo, Iowa

It was done at a clinic; an actual Aspen Dental Clinic. Friday to be exact, here in Iowa.

Oct 01, 2015 #1042131

I am okay now. I ended back up in the ER after moving to Cali in mid August... due to another abscess occurring. After a strong dose of antibiotics shot into my rear, being prescribed additional antibiotics, and then scraping food out of my gums that the (Aspen) dentist told me wasa 'blood clot that turns into fiber tissue (or whatever the technical term is), and then finally into bone... and waiting a few days for the swelling to go down again... I'm alright. Praying now that I just stay that way. Thank you for asking.

2 0
Miz B

Jul 23, 2015 #1011239 Kent, Washington

I've received Valium and other amnesiac sedatives and they don't work on me -- I retain memories of the entire thing and normally wake up during regular sedation -- therefore they have to bring out the big guns when it comes to sedating me. I've woken up during 4 procedures already.
Unlike with this poor woman, I was reassured each time and put back to sleep before they continued.

Jul 19, 2015 #1009446

Sounds scary , you need to have it looked into.

5 0 Reply

Jul 19, 2015 #1009560

Yes , I need to sue them bastards.

4 1 Reply

Jul 20, 2015 #1009790 Jacksonville, Florida

Sue them for what???? Not being able to completely sedate a patient is no offense. It happens. She isn't entitled to a day in court and big bucks because she chose a sleazebag clinic for treatment and they could not keep her sedated. Trust me on this one. Legal damages depend on PERMANENT injuries.

9 7 Reply
Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

× You are about to contact

Review submitted through "Contact Us" will not get published on the site or forwarded to Aspen Dental. However, many companies do monitor reviews on our site.

You were reading a complaint about Aspen Dental.
Filing a new complaint about