Additional Fees

Update by user Jun 08

The company never contacted me about my complaint with them. All I ever received was a bill in the mail for the X-rays that were pointless.

Original review posted by user May 09

I went to Aspen Dental for severe tooth pain. When I got there, I was 9 months pregnant and they insisted that an X-ray was necessary. My OB said it would be okay if absolutely necessary. So I allowed it. While I was getting the X-ray done, there were staff members fighting about the chair and I was sitting in to see the dentist. They wanted to give it away to someone else and make me go back and wait. They argued for a good 10 minutes while keeping me in the X-ray chair with an uncomfortable piece of plastic in my mouth pressing against the sore area.

When I finally got back to the chair that was the center of the argument, I never saw a doctor. The original person was a dental tech or something and that’s who kept telling me what was going on. By that I mean, she told me I needed a cleaning. Fine, that’s wonderful but what about the pain? She went and got another person, who was a dental hygienist. The hygienist took measurements of my gums and told me I just needed a cleaning. That’s when she left and the original tech escorted me out to their financial specialist.

When I sat down with the specialist she printed out a list of services I required. I still have never seen the actual dentist at this point and no one has said a word about my pain. She gives me the bulk of $492. For a cleaning. When I questioned what part my insurance paid she said that total was after insurance. I told her I could go to my regular dentist and get my teeth cleaned for just my co-pay. That’s when the FINANCIAL specialist told me I had severe gingivitis. Something none of the other people said and is common in pregnancy and that I required this specialized cleaning. I told her I wanted to speak to the dentist. She refused until I agreed to pay for services. She even tried to get me to agree to taking out a credit. I told her no and I left.

Fast forward to yesterday. I went to an actual dentist office not aspen dental. They examined me completely. I had a cavity in my tooth that had food displaced in it causing the pain. They removed the food, filled the cavity and cleaned my teeth. It cost me $35 dollars and I feel wonderful.

Product or Service Mentioned: Aspen Dental Dental Services.

Reason of review: Bad quality.

Comments

NO DENTIST would work on a tooth without an x-ray of it. The American College of Obstetricians and Gynologists agree- with proper shielding NO dental x-rays reach the fetus.Generally in pregnant women, especially in their first trimester and toward the end of the 3rd trimester, we try to do the minimum dentistry possible.

You are right. The gums tend to get more inflamed in many women during pregnancy.Corporate chop shops like A$pen are famous for making mountains out of molehills. This is so they can put you in mountains of debt for unneeded treatment. Staff have got a gun to their heads to bill the maximum amount of revenue possible.

Office managers often make up expensive treatment plans to get monthly bonus, without any input from a real dentist!Now you know.

NEVER go to a corporate dental joint again. Independent dentists rely on satisfied patient referrals to stay in practice, not expensive TV ad campaigns.