2.3

I sat down with the office manager. She claimed she checked my insurance and broke down EXACTLY what would be billed and what I would have to pay.

I asked her if this was the total because I couldn't afford any more. She evidently lied to me because she said that agreement protects me and them. I was promising to pay what was agreed to. She set my appointments, had me sign the payment agreement and told me I would have to pay upfront at each appointment.

I did exactly that. Now I'm in collections for $79 and didn't even complete all the appointments.

Product or Service Mentioned: Aspen Dental Dental Insurance.

Reason of review: Problems with payment.

Preferred solution: Price reduction.

I liked: Dentist and dental assistant.

I didn't like: Surprise bill.

Comments

@ Seasoned Dentist. Thanks for your insightful and condescending comment.

For the record, when I am dealing with people whose job is to know what they are talking about, I tend to believe them. When I sign a contract with a payment agreement on it, I expect to pay no more than I agreed to. PERIOD.

I have no need to look up the word estimate as I am a grad student and can read and comprehend basic vocabulary. And by the way, if you are one of those dentist you suggest I go to next time, with that attitude, I'll take a pass on that one.

to fcar Topeka, Kansas, United States #891389

Again, I can tell you with 100% certainty that it is impossible for ANYONE to ascertain with 100% certainty what a dental insurance company will pay. Such companies can tell you one thing over the phone, and do another.

We see it all the time. That is why insurance is inefficient for paying for dental needs. Far better is a FLEX benefit spending plan or a direct reimbursement plan. Individual dental policies are ALWAYS a bad idea.

It would be easy to concoct such a contract with you were you uninsured. Insurance introduces a whole new variable in the scenario. Any agreement with a patient must be made with the contingent clause that insurance pays the amount they say. If dentists did not include such a clause, they would be subject to losses every time an insurance company did not honor its contract agreement.

No practice could operate under such a scenario.

Of course, with a corporate chain clinic, who knows what really happened. Perhaps they added charges not originally agreed to.

Topeka, Kansas, United States #890964

It is absolutely impossible for ANYONE to predict with 100% accuracy what an insurance company will pay. Insurance companies can do anything they want.

The best and dental office can do is give you an ESTIMATE. If you don't know what that word means, look it up in the dictionary.

Why are you mad at your dental office instead of the insurance company? If funds were that tight for you, why did YOU not call the insurance company yourself and ask them what they would pay? Probably because you did not want to be on hold with those people for an hour or more.

Even then they could tell you one amount, then pay another. That is why dental insurance is a rip-off and not worth the money you pay.

That being said, you made a terrible mistake going to a corporate clinic owned by investors rather than dentists.