Goshen, Indiana

Update by user Nov 01, 2014

First Page @ 2:09 am

Second Page @ 2:13 am

Third Page @ 3:02 am

Fourth and Final Page call center tried the Doctor on call directly @ 4:00 am Saturday, November 1st and there was no answer.

She then informed me that theres was no longer anything she could do for me my options were to go to the ER, Urgent Care, or call back during business hours...

Some After Hours Emergency Line outstanding customer service aspen...

Original review posted by user Nov 01, 2014

My husband called me on his lunch break and asked me to make him an appointment to have a tooth pulled. I called and he had his tooth pulled @ 3:00 on Thursday October 30, 2014. The doctor told him that since the tooth was the source of infection he would not need any antibiotics and was only given Norco for pain.

Needless to say when he woke up Friday October 31, 2014 for work his entire left side of his face all the way down his jawline and into his neck is swollen 3 times as it was when he laid down for bed.

I called Aspen at 1:00 pm Friday the 31st and seriously had to plead with the dentist to please fax some type of antibiotic to our pharmacy. I explained to him that my husband's face and neck was severely swollen and the pain he is having is beyond that of your typical extraction.

He insisted that this swelling is normal and that he didn't need antibiotics because the tooth was gone. After a few more minutes of explaining his symptoms they finally agreed to fax the prescription for him. I gave them the name of the pharmacy as well as the phone number. Thanked them and hung up.

Well several hours later, I called my pharmacy to find that they never sent anything for my husband...

Who as of right now cannot move his neck and has a temperature and feels weak and faint...

I am so angry and I would like some advice as to what I should do from here...I called the emergency line 4 times and was hung up on at least one time on purpose, put on hold and the call was disconnected once. And am currently waiting for a call back from a Doctor supposedly within a 20 min time frame, I'm not going to hold my breath though.

Product or Service Mentioned: Aspen Dental Tooth Extraction.

Reason of review: medical neglect .

Aspen Dental Pros: Holly.

Aspen Dental Cons: Not getting appropriate medication, Left with a serious infection, Being lied to.

Comments

wow, that's so terribly wrong b/c he could have died from infection, this story had me upset so I wanted to tell you that I hope your family is fine and have happy holidays.

GD! did he die? Give us an update w/pics.

Man, that looks bad. go to the ER and have them lance that thing.

OMG! That is horrible!

I am so sorry that happened to your husband.

I have an appointment with them tomorrow and I am now seriously thinking about not going there. I hope your husband recovers soon.

@ScaredoftheDentist

Yes, if I were you I would break the appmt and run like crazy. You see what they did to this guy. If you go there they will proceed to infect your wallet and bank account also.

Take him to the emergency room or get him in as an emergency work in at another office. Do not wait any longer!

Aspen Dental is the worst! I also had a terrible experience with them.

You should take your husband to the ER, it could be serious.

Also, you'll have it on record just in case you may need it in the future. Good luck.

At aspen you are just a number. Value our patients my *** Raise ***.

@Anonymous

Yes, aspen does value numbers. The $$$$$$$$$$ type. greedy scammers

Occasionally weird things happen after extractions. I agree with the dentist about one thing: prescribing antibiotics after every extraction is needless and has unwanted side effects.

Now not answering calls after this amount is swelling is the thing that was wrong.

Once a patient has been treated, the dentist has an obligation to see him through all the post op problems. I doubt antibiotics alone would have done any good. Usually is it necessary to lance inside the mouth and let all the pus drain out. It was necessary to physically treat your husband in the office.

As I said in another post, most of these cheesy corporate clinics do not let employee dentists have a key to the office or security codes because the owners are a bit paranoid.

It is difficult to impossible for a dentist to treat a patient after hours unless the office manager agrees to come also. On the other hand, private dentists like me who own their offices frequently are at the building to do maintenance after hours, so it is no problem to treat an occasional patient in trouble.

By the way, I have to let you know that very seldom can I talk to pharmacists when I call the big box stores. All I can do is leave a message on a recorded line. Many times the pharmacies of these places, especially Wal-Mart, "forget" to fill the prescriptions, or lose them.

They are overworked. It is very frustrating.

There are important lessons to learn here:

1. Waiting for a tooth to hurt before going to a dentist is very risky behavior. Probably this could have been treated long ago by a filling for a lot less money and trouble.

2. Your husband made a huge mistake having the tooth pulled, instead of saving it. Surgical extraction of teeth sometimes has weird post-op problems like this. 3.

Another huge mistake was going to a sleazy corporate chain owned by investors instead of dentists. For most young dentists working there, the object is to make a little money until they can find another job. 4. Finally, you will get far better service at independent pharmacies than big-box chain store ones.

I wish a speedy recovery for your husband, but I hope he learns to modify his behavior of waiting until a tooth hurts to go to the dentist, then wanting it pulled. Dentures are no fun, and not cheap, either!

@Seasoned Dentist

You are making excuses for sub par medical attention. If I was her I would take them to small claim court for the money I paid, pain and suffering and lost pay at work. It doesn't matter if he waited until he was in pain, the doctor is required to do a job and if something bad occur after his work he should tend to it!

#1209906
@Dentistare***artist

You are dead wrong about waiting to be in pain for treatment. That's just dumb and ends up costing way more money than if he had gone for simple check ups and cleanings every six months or so.

Many times these problems can be avoided with proper preventative care.

Most times cleanings/check ups are around $150 so $300 per year to keep your teeth healthy is not that much (approx $20 per month) and less than what most people spend on Dunkin Donuts, alcohol, make up, entertainment, restaurants, or cigarettes. Not to mention a dirty mouth can cause a host of health problems such as heart attacks, strokes, heart disease, etc from the nasty bacteria constantly running through your body.

@Dentistare***artist

As I wrote before, a bad surgical outcome DOES NOT mean malpractice. Abandoning a patient does.

The REAL cause of this guy's problem is waiting until he had a bad infection before he had his wisdom tooth treated.

Even when everything is done right, patients can get post-op infections. There are A LOT of resistant bacteria out there.

John N

You might want to go online to your state's main webpage and find out how to file a complaint with your state's dental board, alleging both incompetence and malpractice against both Aspen Dental and the individual dentist you spoke to. As an aside, you probably should have just located a local dentist and dropped into his office with your husband and paid for an emergency office call. These chain dental offices are really not a good place to get dental services to begin with, much less follow-up care.

@John N

Sorry, but since corporate clinics like this are operating illegally, there is NOTHING state boards can do about the situation.

It is IMPOSSIBLE to allege incompetence and malpractice against a dental corporation. The most the Board of Dentistry could do would be to discipline one of the employee dentists. No problem Aspen would have two more recent dental graduates in place almost immediately.

This is why corporate-owned dental clinics pose such a grave threat to public health.

@Seasoned Dentist

Laws vary from state to state. What might be the law in Kansas might not be for other states.

As long as a complaint is made it's made.

I'd follow up with a visit to an attorney so there's a legal professional on the side of this patient. Doctors tend to pay attention when they know a court date is going to take them out of the office.

@retta michaels

In some states corporate ownership of dental clinics is legal (New Mexico, for instance.) In most states it is not. Again I say to you that Dental Boards only have authority of DENTISTS, not non-dentist investors.

THAT IS WHY PATIENTS TAKE SUCH A CHANCE WHEN THEY GO TO SLEAZY CORPORATE OWNED CLINICS LIKE A$PEN.

The only recourse against sleaze bag investor-owned clinics is the state attorney general's office, but it takes a lot of complaints before an AG will take action.

Patient have no case for malpractice unless damage was permanent. Patients let teeth rot in their mouths until they have an infection, and sometimes they pay in severe consequences.

#1120108
@John N

you may want to contact the Agency for Health Care Administration and file a quality of care complaint. This is just about as severe of a complaint as it is possible to file.

Another possibility is to contact the office of Health and Human Services in Washington, DC. I have done so on occasion and have received exceptional response which resulted in a supervisor at one large mail order pharmacy being terminated. They do a thorough investigation and they can even shut down a company if they feel the company is putting patients at risk. The address for the Department of Health and Human Services office in Washington DC is :

Department of Health and Human Services

Office for Civil Rights

Room 509F

Washington, DC.

20201

I have experienced very good response from Ms. Kristin Hanna, Investigator at this office. Her phone number is 202-260-6549 (voice) or 202-619-3257 TDD. After finding out that many agencies either don't care about the problems or don't have authority to act I was pleasantly surprised to find how much this agency seems to care and there is no doubt they have the authority to act in a variety of punitive methods all the way up to shutting an offensive company down if necessary to achieve compliance.

I think you will have good results using this agency. Good Luck

@bubba

This agency can do nothing unless the care given was administered under a program like Medicaid.

Cassandra

Some After Hours Emergency Line

outstanding customer service aspen...