Additional Fees

I went in to Aspen Dentals office to have a root canal performed. On the first day the root canal ran too late so the dentist put a temporary filling in and sent me on my way with another appointment to have a permanent filling and temporary crown done.

During this second appointment the dentist immediately gave me two shots, one of which sent an electrical shock through my tongue and jaw and made my face feel really hot. After the procedure i left like everything was normal. Over the next couple of days my tongue continued to be numb so I was in contact with the office about why and if it would get better. They were all extremely ignorant and couldnt/wouldnt give me an answer as to why my tongue was numb and if it would get better.

I went to another dentist who told me I had parasthesia because a nerve was severely damaged or severed with the nerve block needle. I still to this day have no feeling in my tongue.

I was never given any warnings about complications and still havent received an apology. STAY FAR AWAY!!!!

Product or Service Mentioned: Aspen Dental Dental Filling.

Reason of review: Lingual Nerve Damage.

Preferred solution: Let the company propose a solution.

I didn't like: Dentist attitude or practice, Will never return.

Comments

Lingual or inferior alveolar nerve strikes are a random chance event and happen to ALL DENTISTS who give injections. Usually they don't result in numbness, but sometimes they do.

There is NOTHING that can be done.

Feeling usually returns within six months.By the way, injection strikes NEVER sever the nerve. That can only happen with a surgery like lower impacted wisdom tooth removal.Knowing this, you STILL should not return to A$pen, as you will be overtreated and/or otherwise scammed.

to Seasoned Dentist #1478897

Im not sure if it happens to all dentists. Ive called atleast 6 and explained my situation before actually going to one and none had seen this only heard of it.

Im sorry bit to me this is a big deal and youre trying to make it seem typical. I should have been warned and provided a waiver of some sort which i wasnt.

to Jonathan #1479107

It happens to EVERY DENTIST that gives injections, whether they admit it to you or not. It happens to me about once or twice a year, While not "typical", it is common.

NOTHING can be done to prevent it, anymore than anyone can prevent earthquakes.Now, imagine this. The average dentist gives 2-5 thousand anesthetic injections a year. Should they be required to have EVERY PATIENT HAVING AN INJECTION sign an informed consent for a side effect that is virtually always temporary? It would increase the cost of dental care quite a lot.Don't worry, your feeling will come back.

It always comes back in my experience.

It may take a month, it will probably be within 6 months. The most it will take is a little under a year.Don't even think of contacting a lawyer because no permanent damage was done and no negligence could be found for a random chance event.Regardless, A$pen is a horrible choice for dental care, as are other investor-owned dental clinics