Filter by rating
City:
Product:

Aspen Dental review in Chelmsford, Massachusetts: Patient experience

1.5
I was told I need 6 root canals and crowns and a scaling cleaning with an out-of-pocket of $1,000 expense for that cleaning , 6 root canals, a total of pocket expense over $10,000. I ask for just a regular cleaning as so told I could not have it. The next day I contacted ,First Dental Medford Massachusetts. On the 21st I had an appointment at their office, I received a regular cleaning, was told I do not need a scaling cleaning . I received a regular cleaning. I was told I need one root canal with a crown ,one tooth needs to be built up with a crown on it , the rest fillings. That is such a difference in the treatment plans and cost .The only assumption I can make is that Aspen Dental is just a money-making business and not out for patient care patient or experience and not out to treat the patient right.

Same experience in Quincy, Ma. Went in for a basic cleaning a d xrays that my blue cross medicare ppo is supposed to cover.

They did not listen or give me what I wanted a simple basic cleaning. Insisted I needed a deep cleaning .

Refused to give me, the customer a basic cleaning waste of time... scam

Well, your assumption is accurate. Why are corporate clinics like Aspen such dishonest, money-filching outfits?

Because they are not owned buy dentists, but by wall Street private equity firms. In Aspen's case, it is Leonard Green & Partners LLC. The Wall Street types want 20% return on equity. 20% return is hard to achieve, paying all the expenses of a dental practice.

The only way they can do it is pay dentists the lowest in the industry, overbook their schedules, plan unnecessary treatment, and have lab services done very cheaply in China. Aspen dentists have told me that office managers even add treatment to the treatment plan in order to get their monthly production bonus! Every young dentist knows the rotten reputation Aspen has. So Aspen only gets the most desperate young dental graduates to work there.

Most are very, very deep in student loan debt. If they don't cooperate with Aspen's patient scams, they won't make any money, and Aspen will get rid of them. Aspen especially loves to sponsor foreign dentists on H1B visas. If these dentists don't cooperate with Aspen scams, support for the H1B visa is withdrawn and it is back to the third world they go.

Aspen and other crooked chains like it have formed a lobbying trade group and are buying off state politicians where they have offices. The goal is to get their employees on state dental boards so they can control the regulatory authorities.

Talk about the fox guarding the henhouse! Write your state legislator and demand your state practice prohibitions against non-dentists owning dental practices be enforced!

@Dr. Mathews

If this is the beginning of corrupt dentistry, we're in trouble. Lobbyists, politicians, and corruption overtaking dentistry leaves WE THE PEOPLE in DIRE STRAITS! We are in big trouble.

View more comments (2)
Aspen Dental Tooth Crown Services
Pricing issue

Aspen Dental review in Salem, Oregon: So Ridiculous

1.2
They made us come in for 6 separate appointments for one problem. Why? Because they get paid per the office visit. Who cares that we have to take time off work and it causes financial hardship. They told us how much it would cost to fix my teeth but conveniently left out all of the extra appointments and the *** ELECTRIC TOOTHBRUSH that I didn’t ask for and was still charged for. They offered to set up payment arrangements. After we signed the paperwork we found out it was through a third party lender so my insurance won’t actually cover any of it. Bank loans don’t count as medical services. This place is such a sham. Any legit dentist would fix everything in 1 or 2 appointments and wouldn’t saddle us with extra debt.

Dentists don't get paid by the visit they get paid by procedure. The less procedure they take to do a procedure, the more efficiency for them, since they have to sterilize instruments fewer times.

It is the procedures submitted to insurance, not the payment method. Submitting procedures performed correctly to your insurance should get you a big refund which you can use to pay off your loan.

Aspen's scheduling is chaos is the reason treatment was not scheduled in 1 or two appointments. Yeah, that electric toothbrush hard-sell is a big scam.

Machele

What can we say? We, here know all about Aspen because we see a relative plethora of complaints about them. "Forewarned is forearmed" as they say.

View more comments (1)
Aspen Dental Dental Service

Aspen Dental review in Enfield, Connecticut: I've never walked out of a dentist office before

1.8
After an argument with the receptionist around scheduling (she wanted me to make two separate appointments; one for an exam and the other for a cleaning), I was ushered into the x-ray room. I had x-rays done on my last visit so I declined. When the dentist came in she started giving me a hard time about not getting an x-ray. She said there was more radiation outside in the sunshine than there was getting an x-ray - which I know is completely false. Then she asked, "why are you even here if you don't want to take our advice." I said, "well I want my teeth cleaned and I'd prefer not to get cancer." She rolled her eyes, so I picked up my keys and walked out - last time I'll be going there. What terrible service.

Taking a jet flight nets you about twice the x-radiation than a full series of x-rays does. That being said, most corporate dental clinics take x-rays way too often.

Not too many dentists are interested in patients who never want x-rays. Maybe a dentist in Zimbawee might. Why not fly a jet down there and get dental care? Oops, you will receive a lot of x-radiation to your whole body on the flight.

ANY dentist has to EXAMINE you before cleaning your teeth. That is universal. Sometimes the two can be done in one appointment, sometimes not.

You sound awfully knowledgeable about the profession. Why not buy some dental instruments on e-bay and clean your own teeth?

Aspen Dental Dental Services
Cons
  • Unprofessional office staff and smelly waiting area
  • Seem intent on terrible service and upselling
  • Wasting my time
Poor customer service
Preferred solution
Let the company propose a solution

Aspen Dental review in Mount Vernon, Illinois: Unsatisfied

1.4
Aspen Dental review - Unsatisfied
I went in to have two teeth pulled, one of the teeth had broke down within the gum line. It was bad no doubt about it and they pulled it i though with ease but when they placed the compress in the hole i felt a crunch. I told the doctor about it but he just walked out of the room ignoring my concern. The next day i realized he missed a section of my tooth hidden under the gum line so i went back in pain asking him to check and he looked at it with a mirror and said it was nothing. The pain didn't stop and my gum started to pull away from my jaw causing so much pain i almost had to go to the er. That next day i went back and they stitched the gum back over the chunk they missed saying wad my jaw bone. Went home and not even 12 hours later two stitches snapped free so i went back and once again i was told it was fine. Now im in so much pain because i lost a fraction of the piece of tooth hidden in my gums. I cant afford to have a second opinion and im stuck with the pain because they think im messing with it and not letting it heal. Not once x-raying it or offering to take any. I dont want anything to do with painkillers all i want is my mouth to stop hurting. 500 dollars for an extraction that they messed up on and won't seem to care to fix.

Not sure from the picture if it is a piece of bone or a piece of tooth. It is pretty big for a bone fragment.

I doubt leaving a fragment of tooth or bone caused that much pain. Probably the pain is from a dry socket. You are right, at this point most dentists would have taken a free follow-up x-ray to see if there were any more fragments. A$pen dentists are overbooked and don't have the time to do no-charge procedures like that.

Your experience teaches an important lesson: extracting permanent teeth in adults is a very traumatic procedure. Most of the time a good amount of bone is lost during extractions in an adult- even with a good dentist. Saving bone is just as important as saving teeth.

The moral of the story is not to let your teeth decay to the point where the only option is saving them. And the second lesson is to use a competent and honest dentist, rather than a sleazy corporate scam operation like Aspen.

Product
Complaintsboard Website

Aspen Dental review in Independence, Missouri: 2 crowns both popoff less than a year

They fixed 1st one no charge 2nd one wanted 200.00 just to look at it. Went to new dentist not aspen had to have crown surgery 800.00 now need new 800.00 crown made. My husband had 1700.00 teeth cleaning said he had 6 teeth that need fillings. Went to my dentist no teeth needed fillings no gums are reseeding. Big scam corp.

You got it figured out, lady. If there is any way to filch money from patients, Aspen will try it.

Aspen loves to use milled zirconia crowns because they can get them cheap from China. Trouble is, zirconia is inert and very difficult to bond to. If the prepared tooth is very short, there is no way zirconia will hang on for any time.

Often times metal crowns are actually better for back teeth. The shame of Aspen is that you get inferior dentistry but pay high prices for it!

Aspen Dental Dental Crown Service

Aspen Dental review in Columbus, Georgia: Finding a new dental office

1.2
Thought a large practice would be better run or at least efficient. I was asked to show up 15 minutes early for basic cleaning. They called back several others who came in after me, after over an hour I finally said something and was told I was next only to have multiple more get called back. They said it was a different appointment type. Should not be 1.5 hours in waiting room with appointment for basic cleaning. To top it off they only did an exam and said I’d have to come back for a cleaning. That won’t happen. The hygienist and assist were pleasant but not enough to overshadow a terrible experience

A$pen utilizes airline reservations type scheduling. Meaning they overbook the hygienists and dentists.

Sometimes they book as many as THREE patients at the same time with each dentist. The young graduates can never handle the patient load. If everyone shows up, the schedule is chaos and everyone is very late being seen. Thought a chain of practices run by Wall Street shysters would be more efficient than privately-owned practices?

Why the heck would you think that?

By the way, every regular cleaning gets upcoded to a much more expensive "scaling and root planing" at the A$pen scam shop. Any way they can steal more money from patients, they do.

Aspen Dental Dental Cleaning
Order processing issue

Aspen Dental review in Shelocta, Pennsylvania: Insurance Company(s) never billed

1.4
I had dental work done, quoted at $3000 and with dual insurance I was told it would be $1800 for my part. We paid half up front and half at the completion of the work. I was very happy with the work they did, I realized 4 months after that neither my insurance or my husbands insurance has to this day been billed for anything. I have had contact with my insurance company multiple times and they keep getting told that they submitted their claims through the corporate office. Um, OK but I do not think it would take 5 months to process a claim in the old days using snail mail. My husband went into the local Aspen Dental office to ask the office manager what was going on and she told him she could not discuss my case because he was not on my HIPPA- That was a lie. I want to know why my insurance companies were not billed when they would have paid for a big chunk of the fee.

Aspen got paid by you already. They have zero interest in submitting a claim for you.

Best you can do is get a "superbill" from them, stating what procedures have been done, and YOU can submit it with a claim form to your insurance carrier. These Aspen weasels' billing department is utter chaos with all the employee turnover.

Prediction: In the coming months, you will get a bill for something they "forgot" to charge for. They will send you to collections if you do not pay it.

Aspen Dental Customer Care
Pros
  • Clinicians were friendly
Cons
  • Paid upfront and my insurance was never billed
Never billed insurance
Loss
Preferred solution
Price reduction

Aspen Dental review in Altus, Oklahoma: Refused to replace a crown without periodontal work.

I was told I needed $5000 worth of periodontal work before they would do any procedures. I brush and floss regularly and never have bleeding gums and have had extensive dental work and have never been told I had periodontal problems. It was a ruse to get an exorbitant amount of money with no care. They did give me a temporary partial which was useless and said I would have to wait 3-4 months for the permanent partial which I paid up front for. Still haven’t received it, it has been 3 months already. With aspen dental it is about fleecing people out of money, not care.

Funny thing. Normal honest dentists in private practice break up payments over the 4 or 5 appointments it takes to fabricate the partial.

The vultures at A$pen want it all up front- then make it impossible to actually get the partial denture! Also typical of A$pen is to hard-sell unnecessary periodontal treatment as a precursor to treatment the patient actually wants and needs.

Poor customer service

Aspen Dental review in Portland, Oregon: My dental work is starving me to death.

Wow. Nice. My dentist used micro implants,,, 4 for a lower denture. It was known in 2014 that these micros will not stand up to chewing. Period. I spent all I had: removal of teeth, dentures w/the tiny implants. I paid almost $28,000!!! Sleep Dentistry Defined, Beaverton Ore. They charged me for regular sized, which the implants should have been. Charged for bone graft which was not done. Now 3 years w/ the implants and all 4 are failing. I have lost bone now. Can't eat any solid food at all. Have to blend every thing into a liquid. I have lost 25 lbs and am skin and bones.

Another day, another patient butchered by Aspen, and their bank account emptied as well. Nice work by Wall Street shysters who got a piece of the action in dentistry.

$28K down the toilet? Wow, they did a number on you!

25 lbs ? Maybe I'll try that ....

View more comments (1)
Aspen Dental Dental Implants
Bad quality

Aspen Dental review: This is a scam.

I was a state prosecutor for 25 years. The whole process was very obvious and it is to take as much money from people as possible. The dentist reviewed my teeth and said they looked good. Some cleaning needed. Then the hygienist came in and after 5 minutes started with the gum disease story and how it can kill you. She recommended all kinds of antibiotics and the treatment was for 3 separate times. Then came the amazing part it would only cost 2500. The financial person made several comments about it appearing over the top and basically hinted there are better places to get the service. Nice. Stay away.

Well, the part of your story that was different is that there was at least ONE honest person in the A$pen office who had a conscience. Prediction: After seeing the scams, she will be gone within 6 months.

Two possible career decisions for this Little Shop of Horrors: become ethically compromised in order to please the investor-owners, or leave employment. Not sure why an educated person like you would go to a 3rd rate corporate chop shop like A$pen. Don't think other chains like Coast, Dental One, Great Expressions, or Sage will be any better. They are all cut from the greasy mold.

It is so worth it to use a dentist who owns his practice. Since you are an attorney, it would be interesting to read your state's practice ownership laws and find out how Wall Street shysters are circumventing it.

Pricing issue