DONT DO ASPEN DENTAL

I went to Aspen for a chipped tooth. They were first on the list of providers in the area, so I figured "Why not?" Little did I know that I was about to have the worst dental experience of my life. Everything started out o.k. I was scheduled for a free exam being a first time customer. I went in and got my x rays done. Next step was to see the dentist for a treatment plan. I went in for a chipped tooth mind you. The doctor recommends that because my tooth has chipped multiple times that I would need a crown put on my very front tooth(a $1000 procedure as opposed to $200 for filling a chip). I figured the doctor was just doing what was in my best interest, so I naturally agreed. I went back to the office manager who immediately went into payment and scheduling. So I am here thinking, "great, this is going to get taken care of quickly". Miraculously, an appointment opened up IMMEDIATELY so that this dentist could get the process started. The doctor ground my entire tooth down to a nub so that I now no longer have a front tooth; only a replacement. I am a fighter and take shots to the mouth from fists for a living. So now every time this crown gets chipped I will be $600 in the hole to replace it. Little did I know that I would be outfitted with a horrendous looking temporary crown for nearly a month. The temporary crown was just a mold of my old chipped tooth. This is part 1. Part 2. I was scheduled for a cleaning a few days later. I was 10 minutes late due to an accident detour. I showed up and apologized. The receptionist told me that there is no way that they could take be because the employees were going to lunch. In what world can an employee not push lunch back 10 minutes? Lunch was at 12. I was there at 11:40. The receptionist told me that they need half an hour to do the cleaning. Now I am wondering what kind of teeth cleaning only takes 30 minutes. Part 3. The temporary crown-chipped tooth crown (which looks awful to begin with because it is a totally different color from my teeth) revealing the metal inside the tooth. Mildly painful and looks even worse than before. I should have just stayed with the chipped tooth at this point. I called to attempt to get it fixed asap being around the holidays. They tell me it will be at least a week. I JUST SAID I WAS IN PAIN!!!! A FREAKIN WEEK!?? Part 4. Rescheduled cleaning- 2 hours out of work. Chipped temporary tooth fix- 2 more hours off work. Permanent crown installation- 3 more hours off work. Thanks for all the favors, Aspen, but you can keep it next time.

Try wearing a mouth guard next time you fight.

Mount Laurel, New Jersey

Ruined my dentures by grinding and filling to correct another error they made.

I developed a pin sized hole in the top of my plate that prevented my dentures from staying up. I went to Aspen for emergency repair, to fill the hole. They did. I left and by the time I got home, I realized that I was not talking right. I couldn't figure it out but by the next day, the inside of my mouth was killing me. Because they ground 3 of my teeth down in the process of filling a pin hole to the point of feeling like razor blades. I went back to have them fixed and they literally ruined my dentures. I can hardly swallow.
Brecksville, Ohio

Aspen Dental-----THE TIME TO ACT IS NOW!!

Obviously, judging from my previous posting, I am disturbed by the practices of Aspen Dental, and I really want to see them fall. They deserve to fall. Anyway, I think it's time to strategize and discuss tips for taking down this giant. First, try contacting your local better business burea and launch a formal complaint with Aspen Dental in your area. Next, contact the attorney general for your state. (Mine is the Pennsylvania Attorney General). You can usually fill out a health care complaint and an insurance fraud complaint with the state attorney general. Then, think bigger, you can write your local politicians, senators, etc. Politicians are suckers for a good cause---you would be surprised. Write some letters to the editor for your local paper and tell everyone you know about Aspen Dental.....may not bring down the chain, but could really make an impact locally. Know any lawyers??? Need a lawyer for a good lawsuit!!!!!!! Let's work together and bring down this disgusting giant!!!!!!!!! It may take time, but I know I will get some satisfaction one day!!!!

WOW.....cant get over this and in march before allowing aspen to pull all 27 of my teeth to be fitted for dentures...because my gum disease was so bad .....i serched for these kind of reviews and why could i not find this then ....I am one angry customer or should I say a # or a $ SIGN WHICH iM SURE IM A NUMBER NOW CAUSE THEY HAVE ALREADY GOT THIER ALMOST...10,000 DOLLARS FROM ME AND MY INSURANCE COMPANY FOR TEETH THAT DONT FIT.. signed...SEEING/RED is not done investigating...lets pull together on this....I live in north eastern Ohio....I gather from this site dontmatter where you live ALL ASPEN DENTAL OFFICES ARE THE SAME.

Ohio Mom,

the folks at Aspen Corporate office are like the Stepford wives! they are like robots repeating the script that was brain washed into there minds..and about the CEO's your spot on!!

they are NOT medical people at all!!

they don't have a clue!! there just bean counters who are making big bucks off of people, not caring what they are doing to there mouths or there pocket books!!

I was seen at aspen dental just tonight for routine checkup and cleaning. I have had one cavity in my life and have been told by every other dentist that i can take my teeth to my grave.

Six months ago a clean checkup and today 7 cavities according to aspen dental in ankeny iowa. How can i stop them from billing my insurance as i thought this was a free checkup!

:( No way can they make dentures or partials! Might do okay on fillings or cleanings, but NO ONE there can make dentures or partials!

I know someone who thinks these negative reviews are skewed and not accurate. She works for AD and has consumed the coolaid. I keep hoping she'll wise up and resign from her position. To read this many alarming and horrifying reviews, and I believe they are credible, is frightening.

What I wish is that 20/20 would do an expose on the company. Have one of their undercover employees pretend to be a patient and go in for a simple "cleaning". Coming out of that appt., w/o the cleaning but $5000 worth of dire and necessary work - crowns, root canals and worse, recommended dentures.

I honestly want to cry when I read about people talked into getting dentures only to wind up with numb tongues and reduced to only being able to eat baby food and yogurt/pudding for the rest of their lives.

Please, someone do something! From all that I've read, this company's CEO's are not even dental experts, they don't even have medical degrees!

View more comments (4)
Livingston, New Jersey

Aspen Dental---Lancaster, PA (Time to request government review)

I am new to the area and needed to find a dentist. Aspen dental was listed as an in network provider. This was absolutely the worst experience I've had in an office. First of all, they took some xray. The doctor checked my mouth for a few seconds. He abruptly said I needed 3 filling and deep gum/root cleaning/scaling due to bone loss. I was abruptly walked out front. A hefty treatment plan was developed---------they even built in extra charges for toothpaste, a $150 tooth brush, and mouth rinses. They don't ask first---they just tell you it's part of the treatment. I said I didn't want it. I show up for the actual work. I pay...they charge me for the toothbrush, etc. I remind them that I'm not buying a $150 toothbrush, rather than refund, they credit. I go back and have the 2 quadrant root/gum cleaning/scaling. I DID NOT FEEL A SINGLE THING AND HAD NO ANESTHESIA. I SWEAR SHE DID NOT DEEP CLEAN OR SCALE ANY GUMS. Next, I wait an hour to have fillings (one appt. at 11 and one appt. at 1). The one positive is that the dentist did not make me do anasthetic. He drilled and filled 3 cavities in a matter of minutes. I walked into the waiting room at 1 pm and walk out of the building at 1:12 pm. I offer to pay for the second part of the appt, the fillings. I'm told that I'm paid up. I go home, being told that my mouth will be too sensitive to do my actual cleaning, since I just had the root/gum cleaning/scaling----------AGAIN, DID NOT FEEL A SINGLE THING, GUMS NOT AT ALL SENSITIVE AFTER, NO BLEEDING, NOTHING. I'm home for a couple days, and get a bill?????? What???? They said I was paid up!! Anyway, does it account for the toothbrush credit??? Who knows!!!!!!!! I have to go back approx. 10 days later to have my cleaning, so I make arrangements to meet with the office manager and square the bill. I get there-------even her figures do not match the paper bill I received. I pay. I go back for my appt, the girl does a hit and miss with the cleaning, the floss, and the polish. Overall, most surfaces and teeth are neglected. It's like the girl had no system. It was absolutely the worst cleaning I've ever had. Anyway, I go home and get my insurance claims information. Things aren't adding up. I am going to collect all financial documents and will be reporting their billing practices. Also, based on reviews, this deep root/gum cleaning/scaling thing appears to be a scam----see other reviews. I think they are just saying you need it, sitting you in a chair, and then billing for it----------not needed and not done, if you ask me. At this point, I was JUST there for a checkup and treatment. I am going to another dental practice this week, literally days after my Aspen Dental experience. I am going to have a couple dental providers formally write up my oral assessment. I am going to submit this information to my insurance company, the BBB, and anyone that will listen. I AM SICK OF HEALTH CARE PROVIDERS TAKING ADVANTAGE OF PEOPLE. I HAVE DECIDED THAT I'M STANDING UP TO ASPEN DENTAL. THEY NEED TO BE INVESTIGATED. GUARANTEE THEY WILL SEE SOME PREDATORY TRENDS IN TREATMENT RECOMMENDATIONS. THEY NEED TO BE INVESTIGATED BY THE FEDERAL GOVERNMENT.

Did you ask to see your x-rays? They xrays clearly show if you have below gumline bacteria that does need to be cleaned out or it leads to bone loss....they also us a topical anesthetic for the perio treatments. 70% of the US population have perio disease no matter how well you care for your teath.

Chicago, Illinois

Aspen Dental ruined my life

I went to aspen dental in Delaware, Ohio LAST DECEMBER. They lied about the need to pull ALL 28 teeth. They said they would just pop right out. Well I could not afford to be knocked out for it. They yanked and pulled for quite a while and it hurt like ***. After it was over they sent me home with blood *** out of my mouth. My first checkup afterward the assistant dropped the uppers on the floor and broke them. They didn't think I saw it and said come back in an hour because they had to polish them. The assistant did not tell the dentist or the staff what happened. I complained to the dentist and they said "they are only your temps and we glued them back together" they never fit properly and instead of my natural overbite they left me with an under-***. several visits getting new liners. They have attempted to make me 3 permanent ones so far with no luck in the fit. They credited my CC with 2000.00 for the problems but they still do not fit. I cannot open my mouth without them falling out. They suggested I spend more money to get implants now. The place is a joke and now I cannot work due to the fact that I have no teeth that fit. It is going on a year now with no satisfaction. I dont know what to do. I do not have the money to hire an attorney. They have also billed my insurance for things I did not have done. I wish I knew more about this place before I had anything done. This is a totally incompetent corporation. The office has replaced several people or they quit. Any attorney want to take this on for half of the lawsuit monies gained? I am an emotional wreck.

Call their corporate office, this is how you will get the care you need. If corporate gets called then they act, take my word for it I work for Aspen.

I do agree with Pulltype as well. Next time someone recommends something dramatic I would always get a second opinion to ensure such things like this do not happen. Some companies pray on people they know are easy targets.

I cannot believe you would do something so dramatic without getting a second opinion. What were you thinking? There is no way to fix this, right?

You should contact your state attorney general's office for assistance. They'd be a huge help.

You should also contact your local new station and have them run a story on Aspen.

Then maybe they will fix the issue. Best of luck.

View more comments (3)
Columbus, Ohio

Aspen Dental Milwaukee Wi

Dr. Pack, should not be allowed to do anything but pull teeth. I weny in for 2 bridges. 3 root canals later and 2 infections in 2 of the root canals, they called me to tell me my bridges were completed. When I got there they said they made a mistake and the bridges were not correct, What really pissed me off was Dr. Packs big smile she gave me like "who the ____ are you...... I'm really looking at talking to a lawyer. I wouls tell any one thinking about Aspen to stay away. Never again. Unless you need a tooth pulled stay away!!!
Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Aspen Dental = Traumatizing

Omg, should have checked this website before i went. I just had THEE most traumatizing experience at Aspen Dental, I have never been so upset over a dentist. First of all, they told me they would have me in and out in 1 hour, I was waiting 40 freakin minutes before they even took me back for x-rays. Meanwhile everyone else that was there after me went in before me. Hmmm Second, after I told them about my *** reflex they proceed to put me through x-ray after x-ray after x-ray and watch me *** to death the entire time. Not to mention the whole bottom of my mouth is chewed up from their *** x-ray thing. Don't go there! I got out before seeing the dr. because I was already running 10 minutes late
Harrisburg, Pennsylvania

Aspen Dental is after your money

Went to Aspen Dental in Port Charlotte, Fl. All I wanted was a crown for a molar and a root canal if needed. They were only concerned with their little program of exams and not my concern with my tooth. They were ready to yank out half my teeth if I would let them fix me up with dentures, they talked about bone loss while most of my teeth are solid as a rock. And don't worry you will probably have terrible gum disease even though your gums never bleed. They are out for the almighty dollar. They even have a closer guy who sees you at the end of the visit like a when you are buying a car. You will also get a scare about how you need an oral cancer exam. Better watch out!

All dentist are asking the same thing about testing for oral cancer. Better to be safe then sorry!

Yeah man, they should really be shut down and ashamed of themselves for being concerned about screening you for oral CANCER, they are so heartless.

View more comments (1)
Washington, District Of Columbia

This cant b right

i went to aspen in glastonbury ct i have no insurence n i need sergery n upper n lower dentures i was quoted almost $10,000 n had to put $7,567 down b for any work would b down that is crazy i went some where else n was qouted alot lower n they r the frist dentist that gives u dentures tha same day of a big sergury un would think one would b in alot of pain also wouldnt u b worried about infections n bone fragment some thing has to b done what they r doin cant b right
East Hartford, Connecticut

Aspen Dental does shoddy work!!!

I had 13 teeth pulled on September 19th at Aspen Dental. This isn't the first time I have had teeth pulled, but it's the first experience I have had like this! WHERE do you get your dentists? I have been back now three times to have bone fragments removed. I have sores and abcesses in my mouth from these bone fragments. I can't wear the dentures they made me because they don't fit right and they rub sores in my mouth. I wish I had never heard of Aspen Dental!!! Now, on top of all the pain and discomfort they tell me my two dental insurance companies didn't pay everything and I still owe them $846.00!!! AND, they won't make an appointment for me to see the dentist about these problems I am having until I pay up!!! I have never received a statment, nor have I received word from my insurance companies about what they have paid, so how can I still owe!! My insurance has ALWAYS paid 100% of my dental work...until now!!

Thanks your input was interesting and helpful. Hope your problems were resolved.

Davenport, Iowa

Apparently its periadontal disease?!

I have very healthy teeth and gums...I am 30 yrs old and never had a cavity and I have no fillings. I went for a regular checkup and a cleaning and was "diagnosed" with periadontal disease. BULL ***! Ok...so most dentists offices clean your teeth and then exam you mouth. Well at aspen they do it the opposite and THEY WILL NOT clean your teeth if THEY think you have something wrong. DOES THIS MAKE SENSE!? Yes I need a cleaning that's why I'm experiencing certain symptoms you *** The receptionist takes me into her office and she then goes on to say how I HAVE to purchase this special toothpaste and rinse and my next visit when they give me an antibiotic for my "infection." She says, it will be 300$. WITH MY INSURANCE?! whatever. don't go there. *** artists not health professionals

If your gums are so healthy, then why are you having symptoms causing you discomfort that you think a cleaning will take care of?

I hate Aspen, but I have to say that dental offices should do and exam BEFORE a cleaning. There are different types and your gum status needs to be properly diagnosed.

Wouldn't you want your doctor diagnosing something before a nurse comes in to give you the proper care/drugs? Same goes for the dental world.

I would hope they know what is causing your symptoms. If you are having symptoms that you think a cleaning will fix, chances are you do need the 'deeper cleaning'.

If you have horrible breath and bleeding gums, then you probably do have periodontal disease.

If you have been going to a dentist regularly to have your teeth cleaned, then I would get a second opinion.

I will also say that Aspen definitely over-dianoses periodontal disease. It's a money maker for them, especially when they like to rush the hygienist.

I meet same thing in ASPEN dental. I disappointed with them. Let us run from them

For patients with periodontal disease, their cleaning schedules are every 3 months. Hence the disease part, you have to treat disease more aggressively than a healthy mouth.

Why does everyone think that this is a scam? This is normal protocol for patients with periodontal disease.

Bleeding gums and gum recession are not normal, but are signs of periodontal disease. If you see it in your mouth, you more than likely have gum disease.

Well I agree with you. My son who is 24 went to Aspen in vestal ny for the 1st time and he was also told they would schedule a cleaning for him due to his periodontal disease.

Now mind you he has had cleanings yearly prior to going to Aspen and has just had the invisalign braces. If he followed their procedure which cost 500.00 then he could get a cleaning. We felt the same way as you. He never went back.

Today I went for a cleaning and I had been there previously. Well I was 6 min late so they wouldn't take me for a cleaning but I could have gotten an exam. I took my X-rays and left. Oh and prior to this they had me coming every 3 months for a cleaning due to potential periodontal problems.

They have some scam going!! Run from them.

View more comments (4)
Lake City, Florida

Aspen Dental - be cautious of unnecessary treatment

I went to Aspen in Merritt Island, Florida in November 2011 for a dental check-up and cleaning. They diagnosed me with periodontal disease and pitched a $3,200 treatment plan (with financing options) and a hard-sell to get me in the office the next day to do the work. Luckily I decided to do some research online, as I have never had any significant dental problems. I found that a number of people have had the same concerns with Aspen pitching unnecessary and expensive treatment, so I decided to get a second opinion. I went to another local dentist who did an exam and found no basis for anything more than a normal cleaning to remove tartar. Bone density good, gum depth normal, no problems that would rise to the level of a scraping and root planing as proposed by Aspen. While the dentist said that he couldn't speak for another dentist's diagnosis, in his opinion the Aspen treatment plan was "overly agressive" (said diplomatically). Anyway, if you use Aspen dental, and they propose an expensive treatment plan, be SURE to get a second opinion from another local dentist. I looked up another dentist online in my area and called to ask if I could come in for a second opinion for some treatment proposed by another local dentist. The dentist was happy to see me and didn't charge me anything for giving me a quick check and opinion. (Also, note that Aspen won't release your dental x-rays from their free consultation without you signing a release form, so don't be shy about telling them that you would like to have a second opinion and want to sign for the x-rays to be released.) Bottom Line: I'm sure that the quality of Aspen's treatment is good - their equipment and staff seem to be good. However, their business model seems to be to use scare tactics (pictures of cancerous mouth lesions, for example) to sell the client into an expensive treatment plan which may not be strictly necessary. Get a second opinion - it's easy to do and should be free or at least very cheap. If the second opinion confirms Aspen's diagnosis, you might want to have them do the work. But you might also want to shop around for a cheaper plan with another dentist. Be careful!

How great you realized what was going on and avoided being hustled. Great you ended up in the hands of a private dentist.

The whole corporate dental clinic model is corrupt. Investors who are not dentists hire young, inexperienced dentists with high student loan debt, and pressure them into overtreating patients.

Such offices have to support a whole heirarchy of corporate bureaucracy, so their treatments costs tend to be higher.

The quality sucks too. They want to get as many patients in and out as fast as they can.

It's more about quantity. They have monthly meetings and scold their dentists if they don't 'sell' enough dentures, and not only that, they want them to sell the expensive dentures that are still horrible quality.

View more comments (1)
Orlando, Florida

8800.00 for missing tooth

went to aspen dental near cincinnati for a missing tooth and left in tears after being told my treatment needed would be 8800.00. I was shocked. my gums were good and I just wanted a partial denture to replace missing tooth. was told I had a crown that had infection underneath but have never had a problem with this tooth> was also told I needed a complete partial that would take care of back missing teeth. did not need this. Just wanted 1 tooth taken care of. I will go elsewhere with better reviews in the future. I do feel they are in it for the money

Just because you have no symptoms with a tooth, does not mean you have no problem. You can have colon cancer and not have any symptoms.

A partial denture costs the same whether it has one tooth or many. Maybe their idea was to replace your back missing teeth AND your missing front tooth with the same partial.

That being said, it would certainly be better to go to an independent dentist in private practice than a corporate chain clinic owned by private investors.

Cincinnati, Ohio

Didn't give service bacause of bad credit

I find it hard to believe that your credit is more important than getting your teeth fixed. what a shame for this company to do this to people. If you have bad credit stay away. I need new upper and lower dentures but NO credit NO service. I wouldn't recommend this dentist to my pet for the way I was treated or not treated. Time for the Better Business Bureau. I was told I didn't qualify for financing so No treatment and I really need my teeth fixed. They should worry more about patients than someone's credit.

Dentistry costs money, especially constructing dentures. The ObamaCare tax on dental supplies just made it even more expensive, by the way.

Dentists cannot just construct dentures for you with the promise of payment when you get around to it.

If you are close to a dental school and have plenty of spare time, you could go there and save about 66% on the costs of dentures.

New York, New York

Stop..don't go to Aspen!

I just went to Aspen Dental today. I have never had a cavity in my life or anything wrong with my teeth and they tried to tell me I had worse then gingivitis and needed treatment. I had just went to another Dentist this April and was told nothing of the sort and have only had good reports. Unfortunately we believed Aspen when my husband went a few months ago because he hadn't been to the dentist in a while. It ended up costing us a fortune but I didn't think anything of it at the time because I "believed" the diagnosis he was given. Today, Aspen refused to even clean my teeth like I asked because they said if something more severe was wrong then they would not. What??? How crazy. What a scam they are committing and the tried to reel me in....not again! I felt very sorry for the people in the waiting room with no idea they were about to be ripped off.

Aspen Dental in Lee's Summit, MO was not even open at this time. It opened in 2017.

@PissedConsumer1755078

Nowhere in the text did the patient say he went to the Aspen in Lee's Summit.

Why did you think you would get good service at a corporate chain clinic, instead of a private dentist who owned the practice in which he worked?

Who do you think is going to pay for all the corporate exec salaries and advertising costs? It is you, the patient!

View more comments (2)