STOP!! Don't go to Aspen Dental

They over charged my insurance after taking a loan to pay for most work done. DOUBLE CHECK what they charge your insurance co. Aspen Dental looks good on the outside, only to lure unsuspected people in. I filed a grievance with my ins. co. They took complete advantage of me and the money. Did the "bait and switch" routine; saying I need deep cleaning before seeding crowns. ($1000) They completely restructured my front crowns..If you have crowns done. Be sure to do a 'wax up' first, before they seed them. Make sure the front teeth are about the same size as your canine teeth (standard procedure) They didn't take that into consideration. And they won't replace them. Now my only option is a law suit.
Portland, Oregon

Aspen Dental-Terrible!!!

Let me start this off by saying i have good dental insurance (with a total amount that they will cover for the year at $2000). I went in to aspen dental for a piece of a tooth the broken off and came out in tears!! I went to Aspen dental because it was close to my home and i was looking to get a tooth examined (as a piece had broken off) I was not having any pain from this broken tooth, it just felt strange and i wanted to get it looked at. Everything started out just fine, they took x-rays which i expected. next they ushered me in to have a hygienist look at my gums, (reminder, i was in for a tooth that had broken off, nothing more) then the dentist came in, looked at my x-rays, pushed HARD on my teeth and said i needed a double root canal and he wanted to replace a crown on a tooth that wasn't causing me problems as well. He recommended removing a baby tooth that WASN'T causing me any problems and wanted to do the root canal right away. Throughout the examination the dentist frequently talked about the "expensive procedures" i needed done. After that they sent me to their "office manager" who basically told me that AFTER my insurance coverage, it was going to cost me $7,000 for the root canal! She tried to offer their credit plans which i didn't qualify for and basically after that stared at me waiting for me to leave. The next day, i decided i wanted to get a 2nd opinion as i did not like the way i was treated and called and asked if i could get copies of my x-rays and a referral to the University of Iowa Dental School (you have to have a referral for any surgical procedure there). They told me i could get copies of my x-rays which will cost me $10 but they wont write a referral! I pressed a little and asked why i couldn't get a referral and they said they "just dont do referrals". Needless to say, i wish i had found this site before i went and wasted my time! i will NEVER NEVER NEVER go back to Aspen Dental

I'm Tired Of Going Out Into The Community Of Greenville, Texas/TX. Anymore......Because I'm Constantly Harassed Now....What A Bummer......Thanks For RUINING My TRIPS OUT Idiots In Greenville.

Texas/TX.

And MY RESENTMENT(S) GROW!! Lots Of RESENTMENT(S)!!

I went to Aspen dental tonight for a crown that fell off. I was told he would not put it on because it might come off and I swallow in my sleep and choke on it???

He pressured me on all these procedures and brought up dentures. He would not answer my questions and became argumentative.

I should have taken the warning from the guy in the waiting room. He was cussing this place out and said he would never come back.

I have never had an experience like this at a dentist before. I have dental insurance and just wanted a quick re-cement.

After one hour, I left and cried on my way home.

I felt so horrible after I left this place.

They should all be shut down.

Why do people continue to go to this place?

Hey anoymous.....I am with you all the way....just got my perminets thurs before christmas and Im on the prow to get some thing done about this company, Ihave 9 mons of complaints and now with these so called comfi/ lites (the cadilac teeth), that they claim is oooo the best you can get.

@Mary Fxj

oh yes the good better and best denture choice..there has to be a lawyer somewhere that could file a suit against them

That's for their surgery department, if you need extractions. From your story it did not sound like you need them, just root canals/crowns.

If you just need a second opinion, you can get an appointment at the dental school's student clinic.

They will do a comprehensive exam and set up a treatment plan for you. Keep in mind though, that takes a lot more time than a regular dental visit.

just anybody

i checked with the dental school and they send for surgical procedures you must have a referral

also it was the coralville office

I wonder which office in Iowa you went to... Well, either way, they can not refuse you a referral, since any patient has a right to go and get the treatment done where ever they want.

But I also would check with the Dental School if you can just get in as a new patien with at their clinic. For that you don'y need a referral.

I had full dentures done by them.Before my eeth were pulled they took an impression,with that being said when time to make my permanent set I also took them a picture of what I looked like with my teeth.They look horrible!Yet they tag teamed and used pressure tactics to convince me they looked good and what I was experiencing was normal.I'm not done with them yet but my self esteem has dropped,I don't eat out in public.I hide at work to eat and at home usually eat without my dentures in.Never go to have dentures without someone you trust will be honest with you.My experience has been a nightmare.I havn't decided what to do yet as I am going back one more time and sit down with the dentist and office manager.If no agreement is reached first call will to be to the BBB and then Angie's List if they're still around and from there I will be seeking professional advice. :sigh

View more comments (10)
Cedar Rapids, Iowa

Turned away for dental work after being accepted

I went to aspen in 2010 was accepted looked at and approved for credit care for around 5000.00 worth of work. I wasnt able to have the work done due to my job I run a rather large fitness company with many locations. I returned around 12 months later to start the process again and was told by a different dentist that I would have to see a prostogenist befoore he would even consider doing the crowns because he wasnt sure how long the work would last due to bone loss. I am 56 years old have money and credit and all i wanted was 2 crowns. I was sent away. I will be seeing another local dentist who will do the work but I cannot believe that I was turned away in pain.
Greensburg, Pennsylvania

Not providing insurance company proof of crown needed

one year ago, they said I needed to a crown. They billed my insurance and my insurance asked them for proof. They did not respond to them. Instead they billed me saying my insurance said I previously met my benefit max. I did not. I called them (insurance) and they told me, they never sent the proof that was required. A year later.. Im sent to collections. I asked them to resubmit the claim with the proper documentation, they said they would. well,,, 2months later, my insurance says they did not send proof.. so Im thinking... hummmmmm, they dont have it!.... wtf.... Iam sooooo pissed!... Also a former receptionist at Aspen Dental who was a patient of ours at my work.. told us never to go there because they will do work on you, you dont need and will charge for things they did not do...(of course this was after I went)..
Natick, Massachusetts

Sorry service

went to aspen denta,on shallowford rd,chattanooga tenn.at first they were all nice everything was good.i pay the 19.00 fee to be seen xrays etc.then when its all said and done i give these people 2800.00 for their'best' dentures.they get em made and he puts em in my mouth shoving em in,i tell this *** hey your hurting me,he says dont yank back away from like that,i made him aware of the pain he didnt seem to care and done it again.at this time im fixing to get him fitted for dentures cause i was in so much pain.he went to adjust them came back shoved em in again still didnt fit.so here we are tryin to get theses babies in and in the right way after 5 times he told me just go home and break em come bac in a week to adjust em again he says you dont need an appointment,just come on in and we will see you.guess what..i go back week later and wasnt seen.had to have an appointment.the entire staff there is rude,lie to your face like it aint nothing and far as these dentures they still hurt,cant eat nothing with em not even jello.got blisters on my tounge and they are very un comfortable.thats alot of money to throw away too,it took a long time doing without and saving juat for nothing.im very angry,pissed,and ready to give that *** a neww smile.

WOW IM SEEING it dont matter what state you live in I am in Ohio and kimberlybabys words are mine....so its not dificult to figure what thier employment application questions are. Im so discussed with with this company...SEEING all that I have since I started my serch on aspen dental I believe I will call my insurance company tomorrow to see what my next step will be.

I have an Appt. for the location in Cleveland tn.

Anyone have any info. on the services of the location in cleveland tn

javascript:ac_smilie(':zzz') The office I went to was rude also after they got my money. And my crowns didn't fit either. Thanks for caring and sending in your comments.

Kimberlybaby396, I hope you read my blog on aspen, it will tell you why the dentures don't fit!! I am appalled by the "same old same old" from this company!

with all the complaints I STILL see here and other sites, I can't believe NOBODY in the company has done ANYTHING to better the service they give to the patients that keep their office doors open! I hope you get your problem resolved one way or another!

read my blog under dentalguy44, it is on this site. best of luck to you ~dentalguy44~

View more comments (3)
New York, New York

Aspen Dental, Amy Heneghen,uniongap wa

i have been recently informed that Ms. Heneghen has always been under the influence of any and every pain pill since she has started the job. It frightens me to know that she not only takes one or two vicodens 750 she takes 7 or 8 at a time. i know shes a very hard worker but she needs to be evaluated or be given a UA for the saftey of your patients. I had also been informed that there was a time when an employees purse was taken well apparently she and her boyfriend at the time had every thing to do with it. Id like for her to seek help and maybe one day be able to work while she is sober for the sake of your patients.
Yakima, Washington

AVOID ASPEN DENTAL

I have never gone to ASPEN DENTAL however someone I know works for the company. I have heard many stories of excessive treatment plans pushed on patients all for the bottom line. Also seems to be constant turn over of medical personnel. Clearly there is a problem at the company when there is so much employee turnover. I have heard of many issues which result in patients receiving an incompetent level of dental care. I would certainly advise not just getting a second opinion as others have recommended but just skipping Aspen Dental altogether. You will be ahead of the game if you choose another dental provider.
Washington, District Of Columbia

Don't waste your time at Aspen Dental!

Went today for initial exam, X-rays and cleaning- was there 2&1/2 hours, no cleaning and was treated like a number on an assembly line! No personal connection and the technology is not even from this century that they are using! The most upsetting thing was being asked how much money I had to spend? Nothing about what was best for my mouth or what could be/should be done immediately. They were more than happy to hand a 28,000. Dollar estimate for possible work- with no explanation of what needed to be done! I was in tears when I left, because I was so upset by the way I was treated! Will NOT be going back and I do not recommend them to anyone!!!!

Even when I take my dog to the Vet; I get a printout of every penny and what it went for. They're ripping u off bigtime.

I had the same experience in the Hanover location, I went in there to get one price for a tooth and I left there with an estimated bill of 8900.00, Really makes you feel like ***. However, after I was home my husband asked me how the bill got that high.

I went to look and they did not give me a print out of every charge either to show how it adds up to that.

Kind of makes you scratch your head. :sigh

Staten Island, New York

Unhappy dental customer

Regular dentist closed due to flooding. Went to Aspen with a major toothache. They performed procedures I did not need and charged me for 4 visits when I was only in the chair on 3 separate dates. Was a given a lovely toothbrush...was not asked if I wanted it and was not told I would be billed $150 for it. I questioned charges twice and was given a runaround. And by the way....$650.00 later.....I still had the toothache. Even with the toothbrush cost, my out -of-pocket expenses, according to the number my health insurance gave me, should be less than what i am being charged.

They only charged me 149.00 for my "free"toothbrush. Held me hostage in the dental chair for over 4 hours and put me in the hospital

Hunlock Creek, Pennsylvania

Aspen Dental should be shut down for their incompetence

My dentist retired a few years ago so I had to look for a new one. Not having insurance, the only affordable dental clinic was Aspen Dental. I had a root canal and had to find someone to put a cap on it. After the initial visit I went back for them to cut back the existing tooth so they good prepare it for a cap. That is when my personal *** began. First they cut the tooth back to much, and then if that wasn't enough, they had cut about half of the tooth next to it. When I went back for them to put the cap on there was a big gap between the two teeth. They had to redo the cap and had to build the other tooth, which still looks weird. This took all summer to accomplish this disaster. Now its 3 years later and my *** continued when the cap fell out and I had to find a dentist to re-cement it. It almost wasn't able to be put back on because there was almost nothing to cement it to. They did get it to stay on but said that it would fall off again, they just didn't know for how long it would stay on. That was back in September and guess what, IT FELL OFF AGAIN LAST NIGHT. Now there is nothing to cement it to and the only options left is to replace it with a dental implant which costs over $1000, which I don't have. I have been out of work for the last 5 months. This makes looking for a job that much harder because all the problems with my teeth are in the front, it makes speaking harder and not to mention that it is very uncomfortable to speak with people.

poligrip seems to work for a couple of hours, you just can't eat, at least I can make it through an interview. But I will have to check out alternatives on the internet, thanks for the info. :)

Greetings A6queenb.. :)

I am doing research on dentures and saw your post - thanks for info.

I am in same boat with problem teeth and looking for a job . . . During a recent search I learned there are such things as 'fake' teeth on the internet that might get you by .

. Like pretty reasonably priced too (i think you kind of 'build' them yourself from a kit they send). Now, I have NO personal experiences with these types of products, so can't recommend at all. I was Just surprised such products existed and considered ordering some but didn't - so i'm still deciding.

A product like that may be an option for you anyway . . .

:). Good luck.

Hampton, New Hampshire

Beware of Aspen Dental

Aspen Dental is a joke. While needing dentures and thinking I was saving myself much needed cash what I didn't realize was I was selling my time and patiences for this service. Every visit took much longer then necessary because I waited 3 times longer then the actual time I spent with the dentist. Who was different every month. I also didn't feel like they took my complaints about how the dentures fit and hurt seriously. They want you to wear the temporary's for 6 months what they don't do is give you temporaries that you can eat with. They are cosmetic and have no eating value. The permenants are not much better. My face shape has changed and my smile isn't nearly as nice as I would like but I am not willing to give them any more of my time. Now I just found out they did not get the payment from my insurance and sent my account to collections without even a word of warning or effort to contact me on their part. Bad business practices and I would not recommend them to anyone! Their concept is great but their delivery on what they say falls far short of expectations.
North York, Ontario
Loss

@ Latham Office. Wanted new dentures.

Dr. Arena reccomended I should have partials. I think my fee was over $4,000. Problems right from the start.The bottoms would not stay in place. almost swallowed them a few times. Went back to office & Dr. would make adjustment. On my way home the same problem(a few times). I called them the floating bottoms. Gave up going back. Have not smiled since I made 1st visit. My front upper teeth are worn down. bottom metal shows & cuts into my gums. wish ASPEN could fix problem @ different location. Paul O"Keefe Mechanicville,NY 160 So. Linden St. Thank You.
Albany, New York

They are theives

aspen dental are thieves. my wife went in 2 have 2 teeth pulled. she had a portion of the bill to pay and was told the insurance company would pay the rest. after about a year she gets a bill for over $200.00 and said the insurance company did not pay. my wife tried to explain to them that she paid them what they told her. if they had an issue with the insurance company they should have handled it. now they said she has 5 days to pay to collection agency(which she didn't even know it was in collections). when she talked to the collection agency they said that aspen dental has a reputation of doing this. they steel from people in a legal way and leave you no choice but to pay or it will kill your credit report. consumer beware. they will be nice to you now and *** in the long run. please find another dentist. i don't want to see anyone else get screwed like we did.
Lowell, Massachusetts

Monsters

i would just like to say aspen dental is full of monsters!!!!!!!!! I have made it my personal goal in life to turn away as many people as i can from aspen dental. They treat people very badly and they just don't care. Aspen dental cost me alot of money to fix what they did to me. i will never return to that place every again, neither should you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! i would just like to say aspen dental is full of monsters!!!!!!!!! I have made it my personal goal in life to turn away as many people as i can from aspen dental. They treat people very badly and they just don't care. Aspen dental cost me alot of money to fix what they did to me. i will never return to that place every again, neither should you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

it is thru out usa

all they want is money

they dont care about people they work on

and am tired of companies that only care about money

Can I ask which Aspen Dental this is? I have seen both good and bad comments, but since it is nationwide I can only assume it depends on the location. Thanks.

Conesville, Ohio

Aspen Dental is a Fraud

I have a new insurance policy and needed to find a new dentist. I tried Aspen because they were he first on the list and could get me in quick as my filling had fallen out. So after the X-rays in which the women cut my mouth in three places I saw a hygienist who did the number thing calling out all 2s and 3s. Then the doctor comes in to say my tooth needs capped and I have eight cavities. I am then taken to the office manager who writes up a bill for $3500 after my insurance. He said I had 5s and 6s needing a cleaning not covered by my insurance . He worked hard to scare me and I said I was going to take the treatment plan to another doctor for a second opinion could I please have a copy. He turned the screen from me made some changes and handed me a plan that was now $1500 over my insurance. As I was scanning the plan I expressed that I just wanted the cleaning covered by my insurance today. He stated that my teeth were in horrible shape and I needed to do the work before they would clean. I went to another dentist office who was awesome they cleaned my teeth, fixed the cavity that fell out and said I only have two cavities! Even having to pay for a second exam all of my dental work was done for $325. When I went to Aspen to pick up my X-rays, they made me wait thirty minutes, they made me pay thirty dollars and the office manager kept coming out and staring me down like a play ground bully. This was honestly one of the most bizarre experiences i have ever had!

file a complaint with your state dental board. Submit copies of Aspen's workup and also your new dentist's.

Tampa, Florida