Review from Lowell, Massachusetts

Just want to say i am so pleased with the treatment i am reviving from all the staff at Chelmsford Mass location .they are all so acomadating when you call with a problem so glad i went there

I am certainly glad you are "reviving" the staff with treatment. Was this mental health counseling, perchance? Because most of their employees are stressed out from the workload.

Well, the dentist that pleased you probably will not be there in 6 months, because nobody works at this horrible employer for long.

You came to a pissedconsumer site to explain how satisfied you are with an aspen dental office you went to? I have to ask if you work for this aspen dental office?

Aspen's public relations department has a history of posting rave reviews just to make themselves look good. If you didn't have a poor experience with them this time you will soon.

@PissedConsumer845808

I would hope that their public relations staff could actually spell and capitalize words correctly, but one never knows. They may be high-school dropouts just like the office managers.

Lowell, Massachusetts

Aspen Dental - Dental Implants Review

I went to Aspen dental in Daytona Beach Dr Aljonaldy because i had a small chip in my front tooth. After Xrays and exam the treatment. plan was to extract 8 upper teeth and get a upper partial (which i unfortunately agreed to. After 3months of wearing a temporary plate I finally got my permanent plate. She recommended a flex partial ($400 extra) but said it would be much better but first a lady from the lab would have to look at my teeth to see if i would be a candidate for the flex partial. The lab lady said NO WAY. I thought o well the temporary plate had the wire clasp and i was doing pretty good with that. I get home and get a phone call saying Good News I can have the Flex.(i wondered what changed) $400 more. maybe? Well i get the flex and I cannot wear it. After a few months i go back (i waited that long because i thought i was going through the break in period) well she said a lot has happened. Teeth have broken behind the partial. I guess this is quite common but if she had told me that this would be even remotely possible. I would never have had that work done by the way i learned that information about teeth breaking behind a partial from a polident commercial. Well she adjusted the partial, cut a bit of it so it doesn't cover as much of the roof of my mouth. She said i had to come back the next day to have the edge polished that she cut away as the person that does that was not there. She said no appointment needed i would get in and right out. The next day i waited 45 minutes. Every appointment i had there i had to wait at least that long or longer. Anyway nothing worked and i still have a lot of trouble wearing the partial, I have to take it out a lot because it hurts and i cannot eat very well. One other bad thing is the partial does not match the teeth next to it so she talked me into whitening my remaing teeth (another $300) still do not match. Finally i went to another denist (specialist) and he can fix everything that aspen messed up. He will do 2 implants and give me a smaller partial. Said everything would be so much better would not hurt to wear it,and would not have trouble eating.I DO TRUST HIM. I will have him correct everything that aspen did wrong,however my insurance will not cover a new partial but what i have now is so terrible i will have to pay the cost(Around$6,000) I have a lawyer tring to help me recover some costs (not likely) I hope no one else would have to go through all of this mess.My point is DO NOT GO TO ASPEN DENTIAL IN DAYTONA BEACH!!! eat.

Good to see you are going to be fixed up. Just thought I would comment on the Flexilite flexible partials they sell.

They present the flexilite partials and the comfilite dentures as the best thing dentist have ever come across. This is just their marketing department trying to fluff a product that isn't worth ***. They try to force it onto every patient even if it doesn't fit their needs. Its funny that the lab technician had to correct the dentist about you being a candidate for the pos flexilite partials.

What the lab tech probably had to explain to the dentist was that the material cant flex into certain degrees of undercuts in the tissue or the teeth and equals sore gums. I'm not sure to what degree the flexible partials work out in private offices, but the ones at aspen turned into complete junk. The whole time I worked there I did not even see 1 that fit well or looked like anything I would wear in my mouth. The gum and teeth shade never match either.

The best part is they actually charge more for these type partials and dentures.

Aspen's special Comfilite and Flexilites are just jokes they sell to people. Run from these product pushers and never return.

There is nothing special about the Daytona beach office. The same thing would have happened at Albeqerquem New Mexico or Kalamazoo, Michigan offices.

You would have been treated incompetently and overcharged.

After 35 years of making partials, I don't much like the flexible nylon kind. The are rough and the gums, and it is hard to bond the teeth to them, so they frequently fall out. Incidentally, these flexible partials only cost about $75 more to make. Care to guess why they were so eager to "upgrade" you to one?

So you probably went to Aspen to save money, right?

You believed their TV ads. Any office that has Danica the NASCAR driver in TV ads for them must be great, right? Now your money and the insurance money is gone, and you have little chance of getting any of it back. Now you have to pay a competent and honest dentist thousands of dollars to do the job right.

The good news is that I believe he will, since he does not work at a sleazy corporate clinic.

Please tell everyone you know about your experience. Tell them it is IMPOSSIBLE with the perverse incentives and the bad lab work to get good treatment at a corporate chain clinic.

And tell them never to go to any professional that advertises on TV. It is a dead giveaway that patient turnover is very high, and for a very good reason.

@PissedConsumer845713

Thanks for the advice, I will do that. Also I was never rude to her,and she asked me if I was questing her 14 years of expertise and experience. zI said no I just wanted my teeth right.

I have the same problem except lower partial I wished a 100 times over I had never walked in their doors. I still have no partial that will even go in my mouth. I have been without teeth since they pulled mine and that has been 8 weeks wish I had gone somewhere else.

@PissedConsumer845684

Don't put up with this. you shouldn't pay for something you can't wear. Harass them until you get your money back from these idiots.

View more comments (4)
Silver Springs Shores, Florida

Incompetent dentist

Dentist was not able to get the crown on so she took a tool and pounded and chipped the tooth next to it, to get the crown on. Made another appointment to crown the badly chipped tooth, which fell apart away from the office. I was not going back to her, had to pay another dentist to fix her mess. I asked ASPEN Dental to reimburse me for the 2nd dentist, I had to have a root canal because of the trauma on those 2 teeth, they are saying that I needed a root canal from the beginning. So you mean she crowned a badly infected tooth, don't you need remove the infection before crown? Do not go to Aspen dental, then they over charged me on top of it. I want my money back!!!!!!!

This is one of the most outrageous reports I have read so far about this chain. Never, never, never have I used an instrument to force a crown on a tooth.

If they say you needed a root canal from the beginning, ask them why a root canal was not done FIRST before the crown, as any normal dentist would do!

What you do not realize, as chronicled by an ex-employee on this site, is that lab support is completely non-functional at this chain. Even the best dentist could not get good crowns for his patient with the lab support (often from China) they are forced to use.

This is one incident, if you accurately described it, that you should IMMEDIATELY document and report in writing to your state board of dentistry. That will scare the living daylights out of the dentist who did it. Unfortunately, the chain you describe will continue on its merry way.

That is because it is owned by INVESTORS, not dentists. State boards cannot discipline corporate executives, only dentists.

THIS IS THE REASON NON-DENTIST OWNERSHIP OF DENTAL OFFICES WAS OUTLAWED. Unfortunately, corporate interests have found ways to circumvent these laws.

@Lonie Hvl

I'm a D.D.S and had the pleasure of working for Aspen for awhile. I do not know what happened to the crown in this case but I can tell you that the crowns I had to deliver at Aspen were a shame.

When I was in a private office and sent out for crown and bridge work it came back as ordered. I might have had to bump the interproximals of the crowns lightly or adjust the occlusion lightly. Other than that the crowns dropped right in with good fit and finish. The crowns returned to aspen have to be ground on like crazy to seat them.

If you are delivering anterior crowns, prepare to be highly irritated and disappointed. The color, shape is usually embarrassing.

I left because I got tired of putting my name on this kind of poor work. Think about this if your considering working for Aspen.

@PissedConsumer845821

Your are to be applauded for telling the truth about a menace to the patient population of the US. Word is getting out about corporate dental flim-flam.

I only worked for dental chains for a couple of years a long time ago, and would never go back.

A good result was impossible with the sorry lab work the owners got for the small price they were willing to pay. Porcelain broke off so often, we dentists were ordered to cement every crown and bridge on with temporary cement!!!!

Port Charlotte, Florida

In it for the money

I went to Aspen Dental in East Hartford two years ago for the replacement of a partial upper plate. I was talked into getting whitening down on my lower teeth and a deep cleaning. They also did some sort of procedure and told me I needed additional work done on my back teeth which I did not go for. The partial has given me trouble from the beginning with the lower teeth hitting it. I had four adjustments made and today I went again and was told they were going to charge me for the adjustment. I walked out and will never go back again. Do not go to this dental office.
#1019890

You are so right.... So unprofessional, but I heard investors own Aspen Dental and they don't care about your mouth only your $$..

They need to be reported .. Especially the East Hartford Office

#1020065
@PissedConsumer1019890

You are right. A leveraged buyout group owns Aspen.

But who are you going to report them to?

State boards of Dentistry can only discipline dentists and dental hygienists. Not corporate executives, as they don't have any licenses to start with.

This is why:

1. You are taking a big risk going to a corporate dental clinic.

You give up most of your state's protection.

2. You need to write your state legislation to codify practice ownership tests so non-dentists cannot own (or "manage" as Aspen claims it does) dental practices.

#1019879

I feel the same way about the East Hartford office!!!! Horrible just horrible!!!

I used to work for aspen and I am very familiar with their lab work. These horrible results from their partials and dentures are an everyday thing at aspen.

Making dentures/partials at neck break speeds is what aspen is all about, not the quality of denture or each person's individual satisfaction. If they make enough dentures in one day, they can eat the cost of remaking half the dentures and still make a profit. Aspen equals mass producing junk. The constant change in dentist/staff leads to mass confusion and chaos about what needs to happen to each individual patient.

Your case is one of the least screwed up cases I have seen at aspen. I have seen cases that were sent to the lab with screwed up lab directions. These ended up in immediate partials returning as immediate denture with all teeth replaced and the other way around. Metal crowns returned as all porcelain crowns and vice versa, and dentures processed before patients see the teeth in their mouth to make sure the patient approves how they look.

It's a good laugh to see both the dentist and the patient's face at the delivery appointment when they both see the case has been screwed up beyond all recognition. Love the look on the patient's face when they are told the case will have to start from scratch again.

Hilarious! Hope you at least get some of your money back

Guess what? If you were TRYING to find the place that would be least likely to construct a good partial for you, you could not have chosen any better.

Even a decent dentist could not construct a good partial with the metal work sent to China like that clinic does.

The question is, why on earth did you choose that dental office? Was Danica the NASCAR driver so convincing in her TV ads for them? Used to be, when people saw health professional advertise, they would avoid them, figuring they could not be any good if they had to run ads, especially on TV. Wish people had the same cautions today!

Look, it takes me 5 appointments to make a good partial.

The accuracy must be superb. The lab work is costly. I charge $1800 for ONE partial, and many of my colleagues charge more. But my patients wear them for years and years, and they seldom break.

The metal frameworks are so strong that they can relined over and over again throughout a patient's life.

Go for a cheap partial, and you will be disappointed. However, just about any treatment you receive at this clinic will probably be disappointing, because is it owned by investors, not dentists.

View more comments (4)
East Hartford, Connecticut

Review

Charged for services not rendered. After several calls and a face to face, Its been 1 week and no refund. The bank has agreed to file fraud charges. No more aspen excuses!

A gauge of honesty in any business is how quickly they refund customers' credit balances. From yours and every other complaint I have read, it sure is not very fast.

Did you know that this outfit and others like it operates by fraud and that State Boards of Dentistry have no power against them?

Non-dentists are prohibited in most states from owning dental practices. This is because State Boards can only discipline dentists by suspending or revoking their licenses. STATE BOARDS HAVE NO REMEDIES AGAINST CORPORATE THIEVES WHO ARE NOT DENTISTS! That is why it has been (and should) be illegal for investors who are not dentists to own dental practices.

Corporate outfits get around this ownership requirement by paying a dentist to be a "front man." Usually this is a dentist that does not even work in the practice!

This guy or gal lies to the authorities, and say they own the practice.

The State Board can only revoke the license of such dentists, and other dentists that work there. But that is no problem!

The corporate chain can quickly have 5 more dentists to replace them in a jiffy! Life goes merrily along!

To stop the nonsense of these nasty corporate thieves, taxpayers must demand their Attorneys-General propose ownership test for sham-owner dentists, and CLOSE DOWN THESE CORPORATE MILLS which flaunt the law!

You better get your money back fast from these idiots before it gets tied up in the black hole of aspen's money grabbing machine. Aspen is a blatant fraud and well known rippoff artists.

Hope your bank rips them a new one and teaches them a lesson. good luck on the money.

Bowling Green, Kentucky

Aspen Dental - Malpractice Review

Aspen Dental is the worst in the world I would never go back there and I would never suggested anybody going there I'd stay away from there it's all about your money they dont care and they should be shut down for malpractice

They cannot shut them down. Why?

They are operating illegally to start with. Only dentists are supposed to run dental practice, not private investors.

Boards of Dentistry can only discipline dentists, not corporate executives.

Until states formulate ownership tests for these practices, the charades and the patient fraud will go on and on. Contact your state legislator, demanding prison sentences for dentists who lie and pose as owners of corporate chain dental clinics when they are really just paid shills.

I used to work for these scam artist tricksters. It is a horrible place to look for a job.

Even more horrible place for patients. Aspen worked us like crazy every day and they treat you like dirt. If the manager and workers complain about the amount of people they have to see they get chewed out. When the manager did not run the morning patient thru fast enough, the regional manager said well you just lost lunch for the day.

At least one of the girls is diabetic.

I think telling a diabetic that you cant eat lunch must be illegal somehow. run from aspen worker or patient.

@PissedConsumer844742

I also worked for aspen and remember their ***. I don't think any of the office managers and especially the regional so called manager even stepped into a dental office before they came to aspen.

The regional manager always called the dental offices "our stores" she called the treatment provides "our products". she should just have called the patients, our suckers because that's how she felt.

Millville, New Jersey

Inexperianced dentist butchered me. Mt. Dora, FL location. Aspen will not admit fault.

I went to Aspen for major dental work and on my first visit the xray tech told me she was in training and that's where they train employees. After that, I saw three different dentists and the 3rd one was the worst. He pulled a tooth, the root and all came out, then he went back in and cut a big chunk out of my gums deliberately. He didn't like me questioning his ability at a previous visit. He doesn't work there any more and I'm sure it's because of what he did to me, although they won't admit. They finally paid my ER bill, after they made me sign a release saying I wouldn't sue them. I'm left with no back teeth and they refuse to finish my work because I was hesitant to get back in the dental chair there after what happened. They think they're untouchable, and unfortunately, at this point I have to agree. The 2nd dentist I went to was afraid to work on me because he didn't want to be involved with them even after I assured him I wasn't suing, I just want my dental work finished. I wrote a letter to the CEO, Robert Fontana, but the result was useless. The general manager was happy to have gotten rid of me and I assure you, I never complain about anything but this was unbelievable. I'm not allowed to say anything about this to anyone but I don't care if they sue me. I also reported the incident to the Board of Health. It's still pending.

Aspen has its own fault obviously but what the *** did you think how they were going to treat you after you questioned their( his ability) right in front of his face?

Why the *** do you think people are going to be ok with that?

Would you be ok if someone asks you of your competence on whatever you do openly?

Well, what can I say. A corporate chain clinic owned by private investors rather than dentists is a poor choice to entrust your health.

Nobody but nobody but the youngest and most inexperienced dentists will work for these horrible corporate dental clinics.

They take dentists out of school and double or triple book them with patients. The put the gun to their heads to produce the maximum revenues possible, or they will be out of a job with no way to repay their student loans.

You were very lucky just to get your ER charges reimbursed.

Patients think the only important thing is that a potential dentist be on their insurance list and/or be as cheap as possible. But this is your health you are fooling with!

Please learn a lesson from all this.

From here on in, your top priorities should be HONESTY and COMPETENCE in a dentist.

To this end, referrals from trusted people you know in your community are the best guide. Look for a dentist that owns his own practice, and thus has a vested interest in long-term patient satisfaction.

Mount Dora, Florida
Loss

I wound up in the hospital after my teeth were pulled. Can't get my teeth to fit

I had my teeth pulled, all but 2 of them, on June 27, 2013. Next day I wound up in the hospital because I was spitting up blood the size of baseballs. The hospital dismissed me without give my any fluids, I was dehydrated. The doctor who pulled all of my teeth told me to use tea bags to clot my gums. Didn't tell me to use caffeinated tea bags, I only had decaffeinated bags. He did arrange for me to go to a local oral surgery. I passed out cold when I got there and knocked my 76 year old mother down as well. The doctor gave me an IV and then put some mesh material over my gums to stop the bleeding. By the time I left, my gums had pretty much quit bleeding. I had to wait for 2 weeks before I could put my temp dentures in. I also lost 10 days of work. I hated the temp dentures and couldn't eat let alone eat out with family or friends. My gums slowly started healing and everything seem to go pretty good. They did have to go in and remove several bones that started coming out and not only hurt but prevented from wearing the dentures. January 2014 I was fitted for my permanent dentures. Got them back first part of February. They didn't fit. I had bones curved out and the denture didn't not give me space to have them fit. They couldn't get me into Aspen Oral surgery until 4/15/2014. That would me I didn't have anyway to get the problem solved. I went back to there oral surgeon that I went when I wound up in the hospital. He didn't what he referred to as tapping the bone in place. They bone didn't need to be removed because it was weaken my gum line and cause me problems later. Aspen Dental never heard of such a thing. I had trouble with he bottom plate as well. It is took wide in the front of my mouth. I have two teeth for the plate to stay in. Food gets under the denture in that space and there's no way for it to be removed without take the denture out and guess what? It hurts like a big dog. If I an somewhere eating with someone it is very embarrassing. Told me to use fixdent and live with it. Nothing they can do. Now I am trying to get the final hard reline and they told me I have a reline in February and I could not get one even though they have given me 4 or 5 soft relines. Told me to use fixdent or go get post put in. I wish I had never heard of Aspen Dental and I don't recommend anyone go to them. I want a board of Dentist to review there practices and the way the do business. I have never been treated like this from any medical profession. It is wrong!!!!!!!!!! '

What you are explaining is quite a complicated case. It was a big, big mistake to go to a corporate chain dental clinic to start with.

Cases like this require a very experienced general dentist, or a general dentist experienced with dentures in partnership with an oral surgeon. Here are some other problems.

1. It was probably a mistake to take so many teeth out at once. The usual protocol is to take only the remaining back teeth out, and let that heal for a good while.

When the dentures are inserted, the only teeth left to go are the front teeth. However, removing canines is no easy task.

2. Under the best circumstances, this is no easy task. With the crumby lab support corporate clinics have, it is darn near impossible.

As the gums shrink, the standard protocol is to temporarily line the dentures with tissue conditioner for a few weeks, to make them stable enough to wear. Then a permanent reline, or another set of dentures, can be made in a few months.

4. The vast majority of my patients find that even with the excellent dentures I fabricate, dentures are not the nirvana that they envisioned, and are sorry they had their teeth extracted! At least you were smart enough to save two of them.

I hope they were lower canines.

You say you had never heard of this chain clinic. What made you go there, then?

Nashville, Tennessee

Aspen Dental - Unfinished Denture Charges Review

Aspen dental in Des Moines charged me 1400.00. For a top Denture I did not have done and did not recieve. After 2 years of callING a n d going to office I get a refund added to my husband account. I'm going to make sure they don't charge him more because of the refund. They never gavee the copy ofy whole bill which. They charged over 6000.00 and I. Can only find 3500.00 I should have been charged. I fell for Dr Jo cause he is excellent. I am thrilled with his work.

If this Dr. Jo is indeed a good dentist, he won't work for this sleazy clinic for long.

He will find a better position somewhere else, or hopefully start his own practice.

So you might as well start looking for a new office now.

PLEASE ignore advertisements and insurance lists. Look for a dentist that owns his own practice, not one that works for some corporate chain clinic which is actually operating illegally under state practice law.

Lincoln, Nebraska

Buyer Beware from GA!

Paid over $4000 for services which included an upper denture and lower partial. I ordered the comfilytes. Worst experience ever! Went in for a lower jaw tooth extraction and was told my dentures were ready. Couldn't understand why after pulling my tooth, the dentist rushed to put in my upper denture, over the ones I was wearing, mind you! I thought it might not fit right and I sounded funny because my mouth was numb and swollen. Got home a few minutes later and couldn't stand to keep in the upper. To my surprise and dismay, this was the worst piece of *** I have ever seen. Very poorly made and opaque in some spots so much so, that I could see through it. The back of it doesn't even fit my mouth! There is a big gap between my gums and the denture. If this is their best, I hate to see their worst! Needless to say I am taking them back and expect a refund.

One of aspens ploys involves people who need teeth removed before a denture is made. They focus on what they call a "denture package" What this involves is giving one price for the extractions, immediate denture, and final denture to the patient.

What they don't do is explain the individual things they are being charged for or break the prices down. They never explain the nature of an immediate denture not fitting tight and the fact that the ones made at aspen are rushed and poorly made. The patients are told that their teeth will be removed and the same day they will leave with a bright white Hollywood smile. That is why patient go in to have two $400 dentures made and leave with a $6,000 bill.

The "denture package" always includes the cost of an immediate denture even if the patient does not want one.

P.S the comfilyte denture aren't better than any of the rest, I have seen teeth fall out of them before. Ask for you money back and leave aspen for good.

I got the comfilytes and I can also see through mine. I go through a tube of adhesive every other week and when I am home, my dentures are out of my mouth.

I eat better without them. Waste of $.

1. It is a big mistake to let a corporate chain dental clinic employing highly indebted young dentists right out of school construct dentures and partials.

If you wonder why, read the posts of a former Aspen lab tech on these pages. It would be impossible for even an experienced dentist like me to construct good dentures and partials at this clinic.

2. Making a denture before doing the extractions (an "immediate" denture is always a compromise. The lab tech has to guess where the gums will end up healing.

Even if they fit perfectly to start with, they will be loose in a hurry. The better way is to extract all the teeth, wait 3 months for healing, and start making the prostheses.

3. Making partial and full dentures is one of the hardest, most demanding tasks we dentists do. It takes years to get good at it.

You should have entrusted this task to an experienced dentist who owns his own practice, not a sleazy corporate clinic.

Good luck on getting a refund. Maybe in 9 months or so if you file a lawsuit against them.

Ellenwood, Georgia

Wrongful injection

So this is 3 weeks before my wedding I go to get a permanent crown after all the issues I have had with my ternary I was pretty nervous when he did the injection it burnt from my eyes to my ears it was very painful. The next morning I wake up with a swollen face and a terrible ear ache I call and the receptionist Sarah says unfortunately there's nothing they can do for me and that I would have to go to the e.r. So I apply an ice pack for two hour and when the pain is just so unbearable I go to my p.c.p my doctor said my gum was bruised were they had injected the needle my ear drum was swollen and as red as a cherry he says he couldn't imagine this just happing over night on any other day. So now I have to go back in a few days and make sure there's not permanent damage done to my ear drum. Thanks aspen dental.. I personally recommend everyone to stay away from this company.

There is a real cause for concern here, as I had a similar experience. I received two injections and a composite feeling, and began to experience strange sensations in my gums, transgressing into pain.

Currently I have facial spasms, and suspect damage may have occurred to my cranial facial nerves. I also posted a review on this company.

I never do negative reviews, but feel I must speak out and warn people. I concur--stay away from Aspen Dental in Broken Arrow--there is something amiss there.

As much as I don't like corporate clinics, this was probably a freak random chance hit on a nerve trunk or artery. I really don't see how even our longest needle could lead to disturbances in the inner ear.

It might be you had a strike on your mandibular vascular bundle, which released blood and started the swelling.

The swelling may have in turn affected your ear drum.

The fact that you had the burning sensation indicates that some anesthetic got in a vein or artery. This is scary, but not dangerous.

Usually when this occurs, the swelling is immediate (in the dental office!) and we put ice packs on the patient's face to slow down the blood flow.

Unfortunately, you will probably have some bruising visible on your face for your wedding!

Broken Arrow, Oklahoma
Loss

Extremely unhappy with the service!

I am "EXTREMELY UNHAPPY " with the service at this office. This is the most unorganized dentist office I have ever been to. This office is on the 3rd dentist in one year. When I originally started my treatment plan to get partials, I was given a price for the whole treatment by the first office manager (Amanda W.-who was actually wonderful). At that point, my treatment started with x-rays, etc. I was told I was going to have eight teeth pulled but Dr. Flora Segovia pulled nine instead, and of course I was charged. At that point, they gave me my temporary partials. When I went in to have a crown put in on the top of my mouth, Dr. Segovia decided to do another impression on the bottom on that same day. She left me sitting in the chair with the impression for 15 minutes. My chair was in a laid back position and I was unable to get anyones attention and I was having trouble breathing. Dr. Segovia finally came back and proceeded to pull the impression out, which was at this time was like cement. The impression was stuck and would not come out. She finally rocked it back and forth, pulled it out and said, "looks like you have two loose teeth". I said, "that came from you leaving the impression in to long". She immediately said, "oh no we do these all the time and your teeth must have been already loose, impressions don't make your teeth loose. At that point, I was steaming mad and knew I was now looking at more money! She told me we would need to schedule an appointment to have them pulled and told me they would not charge me and they would add two teeth to my temporary partials that day which they did. My next appointment was in 7 days and I almost did not go because I was so upset. After all that I was really to upset to go back right away to get my treatment completed. After a couple months, I decided to get a copy of my account detail to see what all I was charged for. I noticed a couple mistakes and over charges, one was they charged me for those two teeth she pulled when she said they wouldn't charge me. They also double charged me for an office visit. I also noticed that they listed the impression that loosened my two teeth on the day of extraction (1/30/14). At this point, I am so disappointed and extremely upset! I called to speak to the office manager who was now a different one and her name was Amanda Biskner, but she was not available so I left a message and a call back number. After numerous messages and no call back, I decided to go into the office to speak to her. When she finally was able to see me, I told her about everything and all she could tell me is "there is nothing I can do for you". I explained to her that is why I haven't been back in 6 months even tho I have a credit on my account. I asked her, "what work do I have left to do and how much will it cost", and she said, "three fillings and your permanent partials". She wrote down on a sticky note, "$107.99 at delivery of partials" and told me, that is all I need out of pocket to complete the work. A couple days went by and I called to schedule my appointment and spoke to Amanda to reverify the amount. She then tells me, I need a crown and I need more money then what she told me. I proceeded to tell her that I do not need a crown and I'm not paying for a crown and she said she would have to check with the dentist to see if she can change the treatment. Again, NO CALL BACK!! At that time, I called the regional office on 7/11/14, left a message and Christine was very nice advised that Josh (regional manager) would call me back. On 7/15/14, I received a private call from Josh who really did not have an answer for me but advised I should schedule a no charge appointment to have an evaluation since it's been a while. Well it's been a while because I am extremely unhappy with the service I had with two people in that office (Dr. Flora Segovia and Amanda Biskner). The sad thing is when I first started, I referred a friend and her mother to the office and I got no recognition for it. My friend had a BAD EXPERIENCE as well!! I know that this has been an extreme nightmare and I wish I could wake up and start somewhere else but now my money is exhausted. I will never refer this dentist office or any of Aspen Dental to anyone. There is one girl who works as a receptionist (Rachael) who does more work and is very thorough at her job who should be working as the office manager or should get a raise because she has excellent customer service skills. There are also two other girls who I don't know their names but they are great also.

My experience with Aspen has been a nightmare, some of the people in the office seems nice. until I heard them talking about other people that was not happy.

I worked for these scammers. Confusion and wrong information is an intentional part of their game plan.

Going too fast at every point in the game benefits aspen. Imagine a dentist walking in on a patient he has never seen and may not even agree with the treatment from the previous dentist and only having 10-20 minutes to provide an invasive procedures that day. Aspen knows the dentist doesn't have time to redo the treatment plan or check behind the office manager to see if the ppt was billed for what he actually did that day. The office managers used to work at Mcdonalds and have no idea the difference between a toothbrush and a denture.

If they overcharge or wrongly bill , the management at aspen don't care because they get to hold on to that money until someone figures out the mistake or usually they just get away with it. Don't expect honesty from aspen.

I used to hear the employees ask every single patient when they left to please go to their website and write a good review, yeah a good laugh.

When they don't have enough good reviews they get friends of theirs to write them. Good,honest company!

1. It is certainly not standard protocol to leave a patient alone while an impression is in his mouth.

In fact, hands should not be taken off the impression tray while the material is setting!

2. The looseness of the teeth plays a part in what impression material is used. For instance, if a patient has loose teeth, polyether material should not be used.

3. Three dentist is a year in a sleazy corporate clinic is nothing unusual.

Working conditions are terrible in these clinics and no decent dentist wants to work there for long.

4. As is revealed by a lab technician in another post, this chain uses cheap metal work for partials from China, and the quality is very poor. It would be impossible for even a good dentist to make a decent partial at such a chain clinic.

5. When I extract a number of teeth at the same time, I often give patients a break and do not charge for some, if the extractions are very easy.

I do not understand at all why you chose a corporate chain clinic owned by investors rather than dentists for complicated work like you need. Fabricating a good partial denture is a very difficult and demanding procedure to do right. I have two on my desk now to design, and must consult with a lab owner in order to get the design right. It can be that complicated to fabricate a partial denture.

You should have sought a dentist who owned his own practice and was good at doing this, probably after years of experience. Instead you chose the place least likely to accomplish the task successfully. Be honest with yourself.

Was your choice because of a desire to get treatment as cheaply as possible? My guess is you have already paid much more than an honest dentist practice owner would have charged you.

@Lonie Hvl

I'm not the individual who posted the initial complaint, but Henrius, are you SERIOUSLY blaming the PATIENT for choosing ASPEN and as an end result all of this is THEIR FAULT? Based on #6, it sure sounds like you ARE!

HORRIBLE. Aspen dental is by far not a CHEAP place, but their hours are way more convenient then your typical Dentist hence why it may appeal to a person who doesn't want to wait 6 months to get in to see a Dentist who is in a private practice. I sure am glad I don't live in Boise, ID (or wherever you're located)...I'd run from a rude Dentist such as yourself. You're no better if you're going to blame a patient for their choice in Doctor.

Why would they have thought to doubt Aspen Dental in the first place? You're a typical stuck up Doctor thinking all patients should know as much as you, and if they don't, it's all THEIR fault.

You should delete #6.

@PissedConsumer842268

I write these posts to HELP patients avoid bad dental care. Unfortunately I find that many people are not skeptical enough and swallow expensive TV and radio advertisements hook, line, and sinker.

The fact that clinics have expensive ads like this is a warning sign in itself- indicating high patient turnover rate, usually because of patient dissatisfaction.

There is no possibility to get good dental care in corporate clinics for long. Even if a good recent graduate were to work there, he or she would leave as quickly as possible for a better position. No dentist wants to work in clinics where they are pressured to overtreat and overcharge patients, use terrible labs, work late hours, and be supervised by ignorant managers with high school degrees.

Where I live, I know of no dentist that has a 6 month wait for appointments. Most can see patients the same day or the next day.

However, those that sign up for horrible paying PPOs have long waiting lists, as they have to herd patients in like cattle to make a profit.

DMOs have long appointment waiting lists because in these perverse plans, the only way a dentist can make money is collect the monthly capitation fee, and make the patient wait for appointments as long as possible. Word to the wise: if you have one of these raunchy plans, drop it. They are a waste of money.

There is ZERO chance of anyone getting a good partial denture made in these type of clinics.

How do I know? I worked in one a long time ago. Even if a qualified dentist worked in one and took the time to do it right, he would STILL be forced to use an abysmal dental lab, because to corp uses the cheapest labs out there, including Chinese ones.

If convenience is your preeminent concert, know this: although some exist, few experienced dentists will be open Saturdays and in the evenings until 9:00.

That is the ONE advantage the corp clinics have over us. You will pay a VERY heavy price for that advantage.

@Lonie Hvl

Aspen advertises as an office that offers payment plans for those who don't have the hundreds or thousands of dollars that dental treatment can cost. It is not always a desire to get treatment as cheaply as possible.

@PissedConsumer842271

Most dentists have Care Credit in place which is a payment plan. Want to know the difference?

At this corporate clinic the ENTIRE treatment plan amount is charged out before the treatment is even performed. That is unethical- outright fraud!

It also results in higher interest paid over time.

2. Their "payment plan" has a very high rate of interest.

I urge you to read other posts from ex-employees of the bunch of thieves if you doubt what I write.

@PissedConsumer842305

I 100% agree. Other dentist charge for work they actually did.

Aspen charges every single thing they can get away with. If the dentist took out 3 teeth but only desires to charge for only 2 extractons, the office managers still adds the 3rd tooth to the bill.

View more comments (7)
Bradenton, Florida

Realy bad experince

I felt like it was all about the money and didn't seem to relay care about what real good been done ,it seemed like they could consolte about what relay should be done to make the patient right and satisfied not depressed about what relay should been done now I can't get out of my head but they sure got my money and my teeth that could been correct with the treatments and now I have a real crooked partial which I really hate dentist I felt like was at a butcher and , I should walked away now my head is all screwed up and I am so depressed and now I have to see a doctor for my depresstion and not a happy man . Thanks to asspen dental

This is always the horrible results people get when the go to Aspen. Aspen is unethical, immoral and the worst kind of thieves.

Taking advantage of people when they are down. screw these idiots at aspen.

I have the same problem except my partial broke too. Now I have no teeth

It is very important to find trustworthy professionals for your treatment. What made you choose this clinic?

Certainly it was not their reputation for honesty or competence.

Chances are, you believed silly TV ads, or you went there thinking you would save a ton of money.

If you indeed have good evidence that something was done wrong, please make a complaint with your state board of dentistry. You can use that as leverage to get some of your money back.

Any money you get back won't be as valuable as the lesson you learned: NEVER to patronize corporate chain dental clinics owned by private equity investors rather than dentists.

Tooele, Utah

Verified Reviewer

Worst Dentist Ever!

I had several appointments on hold/resurvation for several months for my teeth to get fixed and these people bumped them all off and gave them away. Now I have no way to get my teeth fixed before I have to go to college in two weeks. Not only did they screw me over on my appointments but they told me it'd cost $1,000+ to get three small cavaties filled, they were gonna FORCE me to get a novicane (I can't get that injection for medical reasons) and they told me if I didn't take the novicane that they were going to make me leave the office. what kind of place does that to people?!?! They're lucky I don't file a lawsuit against them!
#841975

Well, what can I say but going to a corporate dental chain clinic is always a big mistake. What possessed you to go there in the first place?

Did you make the grave error of picking your dentist based on some insurance list?

We have not used Novacaine (brand name of procaine), for 50 years, so I am not sure what you are talking about. Lidocaine allergies are virtually non-existent. If you are sensitive to epinephrine, there is an anesthetic with half the usual amount of epineprhine. I have never even had a cardiac patient have problems with it.

Having fillings done without anesthetic is torture.

If I were the patient, I sure would not want to do it that way.

$1000 for three fillings seems high, unless they are using gold for the fillings.

Find a good dentist who owns his own practice. It can be in your college town if you want.

#841918

The reason they bumped you is because you were of little value to that day's production numbers. Aspen's two most valued appointments are new patients and patients with high dollar procedure.

They want to snatch that up front credit card money from new patients. If you paid with a credit card, then they already have your money so their attitude is basically ***. Their procedures one way or another never turn out to be cheap.

Aspen dental = fraud. ditch these guys.

Champaign, Illinois

Review

Called for an emergent appt., tooth broke & I was uncomfortable - operator said I would get free xrays and free exam- Dr. would decide what to do from that point forward. Went the next day as emergency, and front desk said dr. Would not treat me, but they would only take xrays and give an exam. I would have to make ANOTHER APPT. to actually get treated!! What kind of dental clinic does this?? They stink!!!

"What kind of clinic is this," you ask.

A crooked one. The "freebie" exam will eventually cost you plenty.

Have you not read all the other bad reviews.

NEVER NEVER NEVER go to a corporate chain clinic owned by private equity investors.

Your will be sorry. You will pay dearly.

South Highpoint, Florida