dentist teeth office money dentures insurance appointment tooth dental mouth

Aspen Dental - Dental Services Review

I broke part of my front tooth A.D. said i needed a cap...approx. $900.00 we t to my old dentist. He did a filling on it. $150.00 such a ril off. I'll never go back there!. Charged me $198.00 for one xray and a 3 to 5 minit dentist exam and talked with me.

you should a file a board complaint against this practice to the dental board and get the practice closed. Its a corporate practice and they pay their doctors and staff on commissions, so a lot of unnecessary treatment is recommended. Places like this need to be shut down because they give bad name to the profession.

Yeah, aspen's crowns from China would have looked like a peanut in your smile.

Makes you wonder why you left your old dentist to start with, doesn't it?

Guess you decided to try that TV advertised great-deal A$pen. because of all the money you thought you would save.

Unfortunately, it does not often worked out like advertised on TV, does it? Thanks goodness you did not take the bait and have one of their horrible made-in-China crowns.

View more comments (2)
Pricing issue

First time visit | Aspen Dental review

My husband and I both went for a cleaning and x rays but instead what we got was x rays and both of us being told that we have periodontal disease. We both go regularly to the dentist so this was a BIG surprise to us. They immediately wanted to schedule appointments while we were still sitting in the dentist chair. When we said no they gave us a brake down of what our portion would be and said we were getting a great deal because we have such good insurance. In that pricing they included an Oral B Toothbrush at the tune of 135.00. While I was in the examining room I overheard them telling 2 other patients they had the same thing as us so i have to think that they just lie to people to make more money. All they were interested in was getting you to pay for everything in advanced and scheduling your next day appt. They refused to clean our teeth because of our so called periodontal disease. Needless to say will not go back.

This is one of aspen's true hardcore scams. The office manager overhears the patient may need periodontal treatment.

The office manager gets immediatedly excited and her/his mouth starts drooling in anticipation of the $$$ aspen will drag in. The office manager then goes into overdrive and whips out the appointments and sets them up, charges for an unwanted electric toothbrush(***), writes out a huge bill for everything ever heard of and a credit card loan. Then the office manager breaks the speed limit flying back out to the patient's room and twist the patient's arm until they sign the gigantic bill. All of this happens to the amazement of the patient before the definition of periodontal treatment is even explained to them.

True scammers.

Funny thing, I had a nearly identical experience today, minus the insurance. Scheduled an appointment for a routine cleaning online, they did rather extensive x-rays, and then was told by the dentist I would need a deep cleaning, but they could still get me in this morning, and sent me on my way to one of the patient service representatives again.

I was expecting to hear something along the lines of it being 300-500, and was a bit floored when I heard $2400. She then began to explain they offer financing and have their own "insurance" (which is doesn't meet the requirements of the ACA). At that point I was almost positive this was a scam, I was just a bit shell shocked as I had never been in a medical facility that felt like a *** used car dealership.

After reading many reviews after my visit, it is very clear their business model is bait and switch and upsell. I'm truly surprised how any dentist can work at a place like this, or how the AG hasn't shut them down.

@Anonymous

Most of aspen's employees have to quit soon and be treated for PTSD after working for this scam called Aspen dental.

@Anonymous

1. It takes many, many, many complaints for a state AG to act.

So far, those of NY, Pennsylvania, Massachusetts, and Indiana have slammed A$pen. CEO Bob Fontana instructs attorneys to not admit any wrong, sign the consent order, and pay the fine. Then they go back to doing what they did before. Fines are just a cost of doing business.

Few dentists WANT to work for them. A$pen is the bottom of the heap for dentists.

A$pen's favorite trick is to find foreign dentists who went to school here but don't have a H1B work Visa. A$pen sponsors the H1B, but makes it clear to the foreign dentist that they will pull the sponsorship unless the foreign dentist goes along with every A$pen scam.

Amazing how much an A$pen "treatment conference" resembles a boiler room shakedown in a time-share condo resort, isn't it? The pressure to sign on a dotted line is incredible.

But honestly, a one-week time share is an incredible value compared to all the unnecessary dental care A$pen usually recommends.

Hope you will think twice about using another corporate clip joint that advertises on TV and radio. When Wall Street goons own dental clinics instead of dentists, the public is always the loser.

View more comments (5)

Aspen Dental - Customer Care Review

Rip off!! Scheduled a cleaning and exam- email sent by Aspen confirmed this. They took x-rays, etc. Kept telling me I would have to talk to the office manager before I could sit for my cleaning. Turns out they do not clean your teeth on the 1st visit. What sense does that make? I even showed her the email conforming what I wanted done and spoke with someone the day before.

Aspen rarely ever gives patients cleanings anyway. Most of aspen's patients are told they need a "deep cleaning" which will cost a couple of grand more than a cleaning.

Funny how that applies to everyone who goes to aspen dental. Run away.

An initial "comprehensive" exam is quite more complicated (at a regular dental office) than a 6-month re-exam "check-up." In my office the initial exam with an x-ray series takes about 45 minutes. A regular cleaning would take another 45 minutes.

It is too risky to schedule new patients 1.5 hours of appointment time since about half do not show up at their first visit. Thus, most dentists do not do the cleaning on the first initial exam visit.

The reason is different at A$pen Dental Crime Syndicate. Nearly every normal cleaning is upcode to a periodontal scaling to bilk more money out of patients.

Guess they would feel guilty charging for an exam, x-ray series, and $1000 worth of unnecessary scaling at the first visit, so they break it up into more visits.

Quick! Before your wallet is emptied, change your mind and go to a regular dentist who is not a cog in the wheel of a corporate conglomerate.

Learn about them 6 years ago | Aspen Dental review

I had my denture done in Iowa City. It was a mess teeth fell out eating catfish the next day after I got them and my first tooth fell out of my dentures. I had 4 teeth fall out of it and one of them 4 times. Never will go back. To many trips and that trip was 240 miles round trip. They want me to put 100 words I do not think this needs any more words. Just a messed up thing to go through and cost way more then it need to. This is my third pair of dentures and my others last me 20 years each this pair did notlast 24 hours. ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------ The end

I thought aspen had a denture guarantee. A guarantee that your denture will break and the teeth fall out with no fix or refund.

If you had two fine dentures made by good dentist, why on earth did you drive 240 miles to go to a third rate clip joint like A$pen? Iowa has a fine dental school and good dentists are not in short supply in Iowa at all.

Teeth fall out of dentures when 1.

Wax is not cleaned off of them before investing in acrylic, and 2. Flexible base material is used instead of hard plastic. The goons at A$pen are famous for doing both.

There is no fix.

Chalk it up to a lesson learned NEVER to patronize dentists who advertise on TV. Guess you will have to pay to have a competent dentist make another pair for you.

Bad quality

Aspen Dental - Dental Services Review

Worst experience ever had at a dentist office. At Mills Civic in West Des Moines. The front office talked bad about all the customers after they left, the service was very bad. I was there for 2.5 hours, charged for a repair that broke right after I left abd they wouldnt fix the repair that broke. Very sad business. Dont go there, you will waste your money.

Aspen makes fun of all the patient when they leave. Aspen considers most of the patients to be dumb.

Many times dentures break because the fit poorly and need a reline. If you merely repair the break, they will break again quickly.

Of course, most of the time denture patients do not want to spend money on a reline, if the denture does not hurt.

My advice: go to a competent dentist in private practice, NOT another sleazy corporate chop shop. Usually older dentists are better at dentures. He can repair the break and reline the dentures.

This reline will make them stronger. WARNING: A good lab reline takes a day, during which time you will not have your dentures.

Bad quality

Resolved: Aspen Dental Update by Rsessoms

2.5
Well, I went back to get my dentures completed, and I had to get that clay-like "stuff" in my mouth again, so that they could make an impression of the top dentures and a few on a Flex (bottom) denture. Instead of giving me what I paid for previously, they stated that I requested "top of the line". (not true). After all was said and done, and being billed AGAIN, for what I don't know ...... I decided to contact Fortiva and request that THEY get their money back from Aspen. I kept the dentures, because I had previously paid via Fortiva for them, and refused to give Aspen Dental anymore money. The Dentures (both top & bottom) fit in my mouth, and gives me a beautiful smile, BUT THEY HURT!!! I have no desire to go back and let them touch my mouth! I am not being billed by Fortiva anymore, and I am just going to deal with an expensive lesson learned. I really thought this was a good company. After all, my daughter who was referred by me had braces done to her mouth and everything seems fine with the service she has received. Why would they do me this way, especially since I gave them my daughter as a referral. The latest communication I received from them is that they may issue me a refund if I return the dentures. Why would I do that? I paid for them the first time around. I made them finish the job they started, and NOW they want to give me a refund? That would be great, had I received my first dentures that I had already paid for and never received. This second go-round was to get my dentures, NOT to pay again. Are they crazy? Updated by Rsessoms. 1/10/2017

I don't get it. You paid for one set of dentures and never received them?

Why didn't you object at that point, rather than having them make you a second set of dentures?

You don't know if your daughter't teeth are straightened correctly. All you know is her smile appears to you to be attractive.

Incidentally, those flexible dentures A$pen pushes have no advantage and are a waste of money. They also tend to be very rough on the gums and harder to repair.

Resolved
Aspen Dental Dentures
Pros
  • Girl at the front desk
  • Entire staff
  • Front office staff ok
Cons
  • Not getting my dental work done
Reason of review
Paid once, and they want me to pay again. Never received what I paid for the first time!
Loss
Preferred solution
I'm OK with what is happening .......Nothng! I will go elsewhere and start all over again getting dentures done correctly!
Tags
  • Dentist

Aspen Dental - Dentures Review

2.0
I went there. Got the best Dentures a had thay had to re do the bottem twice still not right the tops i can only were a short time thay make me gage i have been back so many times i gave up thay said one out of 5 has problems. So 5000 thousdand dollers. And of a year. Im. Not a happy guy

Guess it was a mistake to have all your teeth ripped out of your head instead of saving them. Ya think, chum?

The best dentures Aspen makes are not even as good as my worst set of dentures on a bad day.

When they use the cheapest labs around, many times in China, what do you expect?

You might be one of those rare patients that cannot wear dentures.

Better save about $30,000 for implants and an implant supported upper bridge. Don't even think of letting a sleazy corporate outfit like Aspen do it.

Pricing issue

Aspen Dental - Customer Care Review

Still waiting for someone to contact me.. I'm not giving up on getting my money back... They blind sided me and father our account has been paid in full a few weeks after I got my dentures... Not only did I lose my father the house he bought me burned up in a fire...Two and a half weeks later... I wasn't living there at the time.. just refund my money... I really am NOT happy that I am getting the run around on them ... No one from Aspen dental will talk to me.... I'll keep giving bad reports until my answer is confirmed... From the looks of all the comments I can assume Aspen dental has no intention on giving my mom her money back... My dad died 3 weeks ago... We just ask for our money back...There should be a customer's always right policy..I will file a class action law suit if I have to.. people won in NY ... Against Aspen dental.. and in other cities as well... Gum still badly swollen and it's been 3 months... Bone loss still there The pain in wearing this ill fitting dentures is not worth 3000 dollars

After aspen gets your money they throw you in the "go to ***" pile.

That is the trouble with constructing dentures immediately after extractions. The gums swell and ulcers form.

Then the gums shrink and the darn denture is loose.

The could adjust away the sore spots and line it with tissue conditioner until it was time for a reline.

But then, they got your money, so why bother? Plenty of sucker-patients walking in the door to fleece, after watching A$pen's deceptive ads on TV.

Problems with payment

Aspen Dental - Dental Services Review

This is the most unprofessional and unorganized dental office I have ever been to. I went in the first time and they had done an xray to see what needed to be done. I was told by the first dentist that I should only need one root canal and a few fillings. I sat down after that appointment and we looked over the balance that was covered by my insurance (I have good insurance) and the balance that was due from me personally. That all matched up so I made my next appointment to start the procedure. Of course it was a different dentist than the one who had done the xrays. I was in the chair and the procedure was about to start. The dentist who was going to perform the procedure looked at the xrays and said I needed two more root canals for sure and he could tell that from a mile away. Now again, I am already in the chair at this point and had taken the day off work to find out that my balance had now doubled and I had to make a decision that was going to cost me $3,200 instead of the $1,500 it should have originally cost. Thats after insurance as well. I decided to stay and have the work done because I obviously needed it. I was very frustrated that the first dentist who had originally took the xray and told me what I needed done could not tell that I needed two more root canals. When I inquired and asked the dentist who told me he could see it from a mile away why the first dentist did not catch it, he told me that she hadn't been in the field as long as he had and gave other excuses that made no sense. If you are a dentist, you should be able to tell when a patient needs a root canal. The day I decided to stay and have the work done, they said they were going to combine 8 visits into one so I could get done as soon as possible. I thought that sounded great and would save trips to Taylor from where I live. I ended up staying in the chair with my mouth open for 5 hours straight. At the end my mouth was so sore I was ready to cry from the pain of keeping it open for so long. I made the next appointment for the crowns to be put on for about two weeks later. When I came back, my mouth was STILL sore and very painful to hold open. I paid my balance in full with the help of care credit and sat down with Milena(I believe that is the correct spelling) and made sure that the next time I came in that I would have no balance to be paid. She said very confidently "No, you're all set." Given the firm answer, I was still frustrated that I had paid almost double what I was told I would have to pay, but I was glad that would be the end of the payments. I made my appoinment for my last crown to be put on for another two weeks later. They had called me about three days before my appointment and after I had already made arrangements at my work to have time off for the final stage of the procedure, and told me they had made a scheduling error and that I needed to reschedule. Very frustrated, I asked why they had not noticed the error beforehand and why I was being notified days before my appointment after I had already made arrangements at work. They gave no apology even though the error was on their end. I rescheduled for a different day about a week later. The same night, I received a text message reminder and option to confirm my appointment for the day that I was told I was not able to come in because of the scheduling error. I called them the next morning to ask why I had received that text message if I had already rescheduled and that I was very confused. They said the text messages sometimes don't catch the update which is believable but at the same time, if the text message reminders (that can cost some phone plans to receive) are not reliable, then why do you use them as a "professional business"? Very frustrating. The day came for my final appointment, which is today. I sign in and Milena (the same person who confidently told me there would be no balance the next time I came in) asks me to come up to the desk and tells me that I have a new balance of $253 that I have to pay today. By now I am furious. I reminded her of how I specifically asked and made sure that I would have no balance when I came in the next time. She said that she had no control over it and the insurance coverage had not gone through when she told me I would not have to pay anything else. If someone is not sure of the financial aspect of the work being done, they should not give a confident answer. I told her I would like to just cancel and go somewhere else because this is absolutely ridiculous. She said I have no choice but to stay here and pay the balance because they had already made the crown. I also asked her why I had not received a phone call or any notification in the time between my last appointment and this current one about the balance due, and she said the insurance had not gone through yet and sometimes it take a year for the insurance to go through. Even if that is true, there's no way it went through conveniently the day of when my appointment was and that's the first time they were made aware of it. This is the most unprofessional and unorganized dentist I have ever been to. I do not recommend anyone come here. Also, what was supposed to be my last appointment is now turning into two more because the crown they received does not even fit my mouth. I now have to reschedule and take another two days, at least, off to compensate for their mistake. In the mean time, I have a wedding I am trying to save for (in five months) that is making me very irritated and angry about these suprise payments that I was never told about.

Everyone whom goes to aspen dental leaves with at least one sore orifice.

Almost no patients can tolerate 5 hour appointments. It throws the jaw muscles out of whack.

Long appointments are only do-able if a patient takes a long-acting muscle relaxant before the appointment.

Even then there is a risk: the possibility of lidocaine overdose doing all that treatment at one sitting is a real danger to patients.

You seem like a smart guy from your grammar and paragraphing. What in the world would make you think going to a flim-flam outfit like Aspen would be a good deal?

The sad part is not the extra expense or the extra appointments needed, but that the treatment will likely be substandard and need to be completely redone at a future date. The dentists at A$pen leave as soon as they can find a better job.

Their motivation is maximizing commission while they are there.

All dentists, even the few decent ones, are forced to use the same cheap crumby dental labs, so it is for all purposes impossible to get good crowns made at A$pen.

What you didn't know is that a competent ex-military dentists could have restored those root canal teeth with durable silver fillings in the interim, saving you money.

If you had "good insurance," as you claim, I cannot fathom what made you decide to go to a one-stop corporate chop shop instead of a regular dentist in private practice. You will soon find out what that bad decision really cost you.

View more comments (2)
Poor customer service

Beware: You will not be seen by a dentist if you refuse to be X-Rayed | Aspen Dental review

I went to Aspen Dental on Ety Rd in Lancaster, OH for a check-up as a new patient. I had just had my mouth X-Rayed about two weeks prior at another dentist office and nothing had changed in the last two weeks. I do not like getting X-Rayed due to the radiation. If it were not considered dangerous, then there would be no need to put on a lead jacket over your chest while getting the X-Ray. I have been X-Rayed several times over the last 60 years and I try to avoid them anymore unless it is a life threatening situation. The X-Ray technician said that the dentist would refuse to see me unless I submitted myself to the radiation. I refused to get the X-Ray, so I was asked to leave. It appears to me that they were questioning my integrity when I told the technician that the X-Rays I had taken two weeks ago did not reveal any problems. It is really sad that a patient cannot get dental services without being subjected to unwanted and possibly dangerous radiation as a condition to receiving those services. Since they refused to examine me, I cannot comment on the quality of care at this institution. P.S. They did give me an opportunity to obtain my X-Rays from the other dentist, but then that would have required me to go back another day, plus possibly incur a charge from my other dentist. I did not consider that to be an acceptable option for me.

Pretty much anywhere they will refuse to see you unless they can see some x-rays of your teeth.

Aspen dental forcing you to seek treatment at a honest dentist is the best gift they could give you. Avoid these scammers.

No dentist would touch you without seeing x-rays, including me. You made a silly mistake not arranging ahead of time for your x-rays to be transferred, so they would be available at your visit to the A$pen chop shop.

Second of all, when you go to new dentist, they cannot do a "check-up." They have to do a complete exam the first time, THEN at subsequent visits they can do a "check-up." A "check-up" is in reality a re-examination.

Can't do a re-exam until you have had an initial exam.

I hope you never fly on jets. You get more x-ray radiation in the stratosphere on a transcontinental flight than you do with a full-series of dental x-rays.

It was another grave error to go to a corporate clip joint instead of a regular dentist. What led you to do this? Was it the siren song of their "free" exam?

Perhaps a more "acceptable option" for you would be to go to a third world dentist where they don't even have expensive dental x-ray machines.

The resultant treatment won't be as good, but at least you will avoid those dangerous x-rays.

Oops! But you will get them on the plane flying over there, won't you?

@Seasoned Dentist

Thank you Seasoned Dentist!

I am a Rad Tech, I take x-rays and the reason for the vest is to protect and shield your sexual organs for X-rays maybe harmful to your reproduction organs and unborn children.

Being I work in a hospital we have to ask any girl over the age of 12 if there is a possibility of pregnancy.

I know if I go to the doctor after an emergency room visit if I do not have the x-rays I will either have to get new ones taken or have to give permission to have the X-rays sent over. We do so many things that are way more dangerous than x-rays, Driving to Aspen Dental one time was more dangerous than 100 x-rays!

@Anonymous

FYI, since you are a Rad Tech, the American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists has ruled that dental x-rays pose ZERO risk to pregnant females.

The lead apron is really just for looks in dentistry.

There is no way during REGULAR intra-oral x-rays that x-ray photos can enter the head, take a right angle turn, and end up ionizing tissue in the pelvis. The pituitary and thyroid glands are the place that take the hit, however small.

View more comments (4)