Filter by rating
City:
Product:

Aspen Dental in Rochester, New York - Feels like bait and switch

2.5
Insisted I needed full x-rays and assured me they were free for my first visit. Once I was in the chair the "free x-rays" offer was rescinded because my issue was a repair. The person to whom I spoke on the phone understood my issue and assured me that x-rays and my first exam would be free. Once I was in the chair they quoted one price and then tried to charge me substantially more. Only when I insisted that I would not pay the additional charged did I get the price I was quoted, which was, IMO, very expensive given that they simply cemented a crown that had come back in place. I'd call Aspen Dental the Wal-Mart of dentists with all due respect to Wal-Mart. They're more expensive and exhibit less caring than any dentist I've ever used.

Don't compare walmart to that craphole called aspen dental . At least at walmart they dont ride you bare back while they laugh all the time and then charge you money for it. Aspen is more like a *** clown show.

That is A$pen for you. Go in for a crown recement, and they take a full set of x-rays so they can turn your visit into a biling extravaganza and load you up with high-interest debt.

My fee for a crown recement is $99.

What were you charged?Any normal dentist would have recemented your crown, and advised you to have a complete exam with x-ray series, so they could make sure nothing else is wrong.

But you have to remember that A$pen is not just another dentist, it is a corporate clip joint par excellence!

Review
Pros
  • Easy to get a quick appointment
Cons
  • Factory atmosphere
  • Predatory pricing
Preferred solution
Let the company propose a solution

Aspen Dental is Unscrupulous

So much has been said about the suffering that customers like me have experienced at the hands of Aspen's dentists and office managers. I continue to be miserable at the unbelievably poor dentistry performed by the Tallahassee Florida office. They extracted many teeth unnecessarily and a perfectly fine bridge. During several visits I rarely if ever saw the same dentist, therefore enabling the unprofessional scam to continue at my expense. An expense that grabs a huge chunk of my Social Security check every month. The inordinate cost was completely beyond the amount promised prior to my acceptance of their "care". And, I hasten to add (a.) I still have no grinding teeth to replace those gone missing, (b.) I had two lower front teeth installed at Aspen fall out last month and (c.) One upper bicuspid broke off and still has not been replaced.

Gainesville Fl. I AM going to sue Aspen DENTAL !

@MARY AKIN

Good luck with that. Aspen has legal counsel like you can never afford.

They will drag out any dirt on you at the court hearing that they can find. Easier to get blood from a turnip that any money from Aspen dental.

A$pen preys on the poor and the elderly. Yours is a typical story, unfortunately- charge patients' credit up to the max, then ignore them when their crumby dental work fails.

You are yesterday's news now that they got your money.

Sorry, Grandma. It is what happens when Wall Street private equity vultures illegally get in the dental business.

Sonya42ful

Agree.

View more comments (3)
Bad quality

Aspen Dental in Allentown, Pennsylvania - " Emergency " Appointment

called 5 days ago because I broke a Tooth and was in pain, finally went to my appointment today and I thought it was strange how they start of with a new Patient, first paperwork, then x-rays, then dental Hygienist and then finally a "Dentist", she looked at my X-Rays and told me what all I needed done and I definitely should get partial Dentures etc , I said OK, but what about my broken Tooth, she said oh well we can do anything about that today, you scheduled the WRONG !!! appointment, WTF , I called for Emergency appointment, she said well we can see if we can fit you in today but you have to wait ( after waiting initially 2 Hours in the Lobby ) and pay extra for the "Emergency" Treatment ?????? But first I was told I needed to talk to the Office Manager about all the Treatment I needed which could come close to 5K !!!!!! So I just walked put and some Lady ran after me and said I needed to pay for my "Emergency" Bill, I told her what she can do with that Bill and left !!!! I cant believe they still get People walking thru the Door

Goal for any normal dentist treating emergency: Get the patient out of pain and gain their confidence for future non-emergency treatment.

Goal for A$pen slave-dentist: Ignore the patient's pain. Do an exam and plan the max possible amount of dental treatment- appropriate or not. Get them to sign on the dotted line and pay up front while they are still in pain and vulnerable.

That's the A$pen way- Shake patients down to the max whenever possible.

Review
Cons
  • Not getting my dental work done
Poor customer service
Loss
Preferred solution
Let the company propose a solution
Tags
  • Disrespectful Staff

Aspen Dental - *** advertising

Based on your commercials, I would NEVER visit one of your locations. As a former hostage, I don't find your commercials amusing.

Aspen Dental - Very happy

The experience at aspen dental was all 5 stars. Very happy all the way around! 5 stars
Good quality

Aspen Dental - Crown

Had to get a crown on number 7 tooth about month and a half ago.. the temp crown the unprofessional dentist made fitted 100% better than original crown that was made for me.. the crown was to narrow and too short I told the dentist this went back twice because it seemed like it wasn't in place good and very sensitive to hot liquids.. the third time in this 1 1/2 time spam I explained to the same dentist how this crown was bothering my mouth and I just wanted my mouth to feel normal like it did before the crown his words were you gonna need more than that crown done to make my mouth feel normal" my words to him I didn't come in for any other teeth but that one.. he went on to say that he would do another crown for a smaller fee!!! I told him I wasn't paying him for another crown and neither would my insurance company I took there so-call bio if snd told him I was calling their corporate office and he said " go ahead " I also told I was calling my insurance carrier and the states attorney office.. which I did file a complaint... that office in East Hartford/Glastonbury is the worse and very unprofessional especially the dentist ... all about money.. wouldn't recommend for a dog/animal cause that's how they treat you and that's what they are!!!!!!!!! Money hungry animals!!!!!!

Having gone there I would suggest that you look at your bill see what ADA code they used on the crown and then find out what the crown on your tooth is really made of. You can't ask them (as they will lie) but when you go to and you will to a dentist that is not fleecing you, ask and the sooner the better.

They can be made of many materials and they bill people with insurance or not for the highest grade and then put wax in your mouth.

You for instance probably paid for pins/ post and core buildup etc for a crown . When most of that is included in the price of a crown as deemed by the ADA anyhow. 2950 I think is the major code that is frivolous.

Let your insurance company look at it. I am sure there is more. I say this so you can get the money you paid and the insurance company to back out so you can get it fixed for real.

You could also go my route and geez it was so funnnnnn!!!!!

I did what I knew would get me results and money now! Aspen Dental does not like a scene in the front office.

So I gave them one of my best, I am Italian and am loud. It serves you well in the right venue.

I told them in front of a waiting room full of 1st timers what I got what and what they charged me for. I managed to have the office manager rein me in and refund me . I did make him sign it and acknowledge my complaint on the refund also.

I managed to get 3k back from them in 4 days . According to the insurance company I did great but there are a gazillion other charges. So they have not seen the last of me...not for dental work just for office tantrums.

I have found that if you have a lot of knowledge coupled with a gigantic mouth, and wait for the right captive waiting room audience. You can get them at their own game.

It was so much more rewarding to have them make me stop my rant and pay me to do it then it would have been had I just filled out a report to the states attorney which I did also. Meantime keep them out of your mouth!

@Godmother

Good work, sister! More brave victims like you, and A$pen would be bankrupt in no time!

But I am sorry to tell you that ADA code is a legitimate charge, separate from a crown.

It is appropriate for many teeth, and all root canal posterior teeth.

As long as a guildup is actually DONE. Many times at A$pen, they charge for a buildup and never really do it!

You are also right that a common scam is to bill for a high-noble crown, then fabricate it out of junk metal that includes no gold or palladium.

@Seasoned Dentist

OMG it was such a rush the OM was looking at me like this nut is going to *** my game. I gave the waiting room an earful of Aspen Dental 101. A couple people left(although they could have been afraid of me) the OM wrote a refund slip after he scooted me out of there. I had him sign it, date it, everything but bleed on it and it was in the bank 4 or 5 days later. Look I am an Italian women who was 2 smart to be there in the first place so it made me feel really good to have that *** "kiss my ring"

I know the code is is a legit code just abused. Another seasoned dentist told me so read this:

Core Build-ups (code # D2950) are not a covered benefit unless used to restore a tooth that has been treated endodontically. Core buildups and prefabricated post and core (D2954) and cast post and core (D2952) will not be paid on the same tooth. Aspen Dental codes this way for money, (D2950) or prefabricated post and core when restoring and closing an endodontic access opening. Core buildups and prefabricated post and core are reimbursable when they are necessary for the retention of the crown, not for closure of an endodontic access opening with the crown already in tact. Do not report crown repair necessitated by material failure either. If the crown is removed first then core buildup/prefabricated post and core can be reported.

I am saying they are billing all of these codes together on one tooth. I got a crash course in ADA codes and was looking at the bill and that 2950 code kept popping up and I am thinking what?

I mean yes you are a seasoned dentist and I am just or was a RN and medical coder after. Everytime I saw the that code i would think the only way to the aorta using one code is through the femoral artery . This place bills like they are trying to get to your aorta via your pinky toe. It is just wrong. Then comes what they are putting in your mouth. Nobody knows and this is when Aspen Dental can be sued not fined sued for blatant bait and switch tactics....You Think?

@DP

If nothing is done to strengthen a crowned tooth after a root canal, they frequently break off at the gum line. I have seen it happen many, many times.

Prefabricated post and core code INCLUDES the amalgam buildup around it, and a 2950 buildup fee should not be charged in addition.

You are right about that.

The IDEAL way to restore a premolar crown after a root canal is to do a custom cast gold post through the access hole and into the root. The margins can be burnished to form a perfect seal. This also adds strength to prevent fracture. Few dentists know how to do these anymore.

An acceptable way is to condense amalgam through the hole and into the root.

This might add a little strength. Then dentist might bill this as an amalgam filling, or a buildup at a reduced fee, since much less material is used.

Unfortunately, most guys just plug the hole with composite resin, which adds no strength and deteriorates quickly. This should probably be billed as just an occlusal resin filling, but unscrupulous people like A$pen bill it as a buildup.

A visit to A$pen often escalates into a billing extravaganza, as you found out. Remember both the dentist and office manager have guns to the heads to meet corporate revenue targets for their office.

If they don't bill and collect enough, they are quickly history.

Corporate ownership of dental clinics STINKS to high heaven. That is why it is actually illegal in most states.

I tried Aspen after my wonderful dentist and staff of 12 years retired from private practice. Horrible experience to say the least.

I appreciate the seasoned dentist trying to inform the public about what to expect from Aspen Dental. I can assure you that all of these complaints are real. Would not use them for any reason.

I asked several friends and coworkers about a good private practice dentist and I found a good one. Am very happy with the dentist and his staff.

I read a lot of complaints about Aspen Dental on this site.

You'd better find a better provider for your own sake before this gets any worse.

Talk to your friends, neighbors, etc. about their provider.

Drive around and check out facilities.

You can tell a lot by being observant.

And, of, course, it's all going to cost money no matter what. You probably don't mind as long as you get what you paid for.

Of the entities you mentioned, only your state's attorney general can do anything. But only if they get enough complaints like yours.

A$pen has already been slammed in Pennsylvania, New York, Massachusetts, and Indiana.

They just pay the fines as a cost of doing business and resume their scams as usual.

You probably need a root canal and post on that tooth now- as well as another crown. PLEASE go to a private dentist to do it, and forget the corporate clinic chop shops.

View more comments (6)
Bad quality

ASPEN DENTAL

THESE ARE JUST A FEW THINGS TO PROTECT YOURSELF AGAINST APSPEN BEFORE YOU HAVE NO TEETH I AM IN THE PROCESS OF HAVING THE BILL TAKEN CARE OF BY MY INSURANCE COMPANY..IN REGARD TO ASPEN. MY GOODNESS THEY ONLY HAD TO HOLD IT UP TO THE LIGHT BEFORE THEY HAD 2000 DOLLARS IN OVER CHARGES. HERE IS THE THING 1 1. DO NOT LET THEM CHARGE YOU FOR PINS IN A ROOT CA]AL ALL INCLUSIVE WHICH IS A ROOT CANANL IS ALL INCLUSIVE 2. MOST CROWNS ALL INCLUSIVE YET YOU WILL SEE ADA 2950 ALL OVER. THAT IS FOR EXTRA PINS 3. FUD FULL UPPER DENTURE...IN MY PLAN T IS ONLY 500 AND CHARGED 2,000. MY PLAN DOES NOT CARE IF IT IS ACOMFY LITE OR UNCOMFOMY LITE IT CARES ABOUT THE CODE WHICH IS MOOT AS I PUT THE DENTURE IN THEIR HANDS AFTER 2 DAYS GOT A RECEIPT HAD HIM SIGN IT GOT MONEY BACK AT THIS TIME FOR DENTURE ONLY. MY DISCOUNT DENTAL PLAN IS REALLY FLOORED AT THE FRAUD AND IS STILL WORKING ON WHAT ELSE I WILL GET BACK FROM THE Fun fact my bill on care plane from the start had 1k padded into the first number they but down...ie care plane 11 but WORSE AFTER SUBTRACTING INSURANCE AND GETTING TO THE REAL BOTTOM LINE WHEN TO ANOTHER DENTIST GOT AN UPPER WITH MICRO IMPLANTS FOR 2300 AND THIS GUY IS A DENTIST. MAYBE AN LLC BUT HIS OWN LLC NOT SOME CORPORATION RUNNING it Sorry for al the caps etc in a hurry any question elleyalater@gmail.com..Maybe anybody in Md would like a field trip to the States ATTORNEY OR A LAYWER

Sorry, to say, you really are mixed up.

1. You won't get anything but a cr@p denture for $500.

No dentist can do all the steps correctly, pay a decent lab, and not lose money at that price.

2. Code 2950 is for a buildup, not pins. (But the buildup may include pins.) EVERY BACK TOOTH WITH A ROOT CANAL needs a buildup before a crown is done. Otherwise, the whole crown will just snap off the root.

We call mini-implants "temporary implants" because the fall out so regularly.

Aspen's ComfyJunk dentures made out of a flexible nylon material are inferior, not superior. Teeth pop out of them, and they are difficult to impossible to reline.

@Seasoned Dentist

1.The insurance company i dealt with contracted them to a fee schedule...It was a discount plan that could not be negotiated by providers(most will allow it) after the fact. I did not fully understand until the company told me, that i was not responsible for 2000 as 500 is what Aspen dental agreed to charge for that particular ADA code.

Anyway Aspen is corporate so make up your mind they surely could produce a hunk of junk 500 denture in the lab from China they all have. Far as I can tell on here all they produce is a *** denture.

2. 2950 ada code is core buildup with pins They are not supposed to use that code in conjunction with a root canal because it is included in the ADA 3320 . ADA 2950 is grouped as over utilized.

It can be used if there is not enough tooth in some cases but...if you are still practicing 2950 will not be around long.

3.Don't tell me I am mixed up I have been through this Aspen Dental BS I was *** and went in there . However I have had nearly every dime I paid them refunded. Work done or not. Why?

Because having that happen to me brought back the smart women who walked in there in the first place. Not because I got the States Attorney involved, but because I figured out how I would get them where the practice lives and they did not like it one bit.

@Anonymous

You are a smart cookie- but don't know a thing about dental coding.

Code 3320 is for a premolar root canal and has NEVER included the post or buildup necessary afterward.

Code 2950 might be overutilized by some crooked clinics like A$pen, but it is a completely legitimate procedure that is separate from any root canal.

It may include pins, but may not. This is where you are confused. If a 2950 buildup is done, it is NOT appropriate to bill for pins as a separate charge. It is not considered acceptable to use pins on a root canal tooth anyway.

What got you in trouble to start with is purchasing a fleabag dental plan. No honest dentist could ever participate in these *** plans, so the people they send you to are crooks like A$pen, who have no problem with committing fraud and/or overtreatment.

@Seasoned Dentist

1. Aspen signed a contract with a discounted dental group saying they would charge no more then the 500 for the denture ada code they agreed to a set price(this particular discount plan did not allow for changes to be made to the contract agreed too...Most let it vary( so when they charged what they wanted the insurance co stepped in and said no.

I said I paid 2000 not 500. From what I have seen on this sight not a denture on here is worth 500 bucks and they all have a chinese lab in the back. Anyway I have all that money back

2. Code 2950 is an overused code for buildup and pins They are included in the 3320 ( think that is the code for root canal) Most insurance companies are going to drop the code, some allow it if there is not enough tooth left

Have you seen an aspen treatment plan.... Well I have seen 2 too many and let me tell you one thing. I did not get what they said they were putting in the back of my mouth they used a cheaper material and charged me for the highest priced one. What lay person knows what is being put in their mouth if they are Aspen Dental.

This might change how they are handled in lawsuits as this is out and out fraud, if not bait and switch. I do not think telling people to look at the bill and be sure the materials on the treatment plan are what is going in their mouth is a bad thing . Of course they'd have to have another dentist tell them that , but tbut that is the goal here

Im going to say of all the charges on my treatment plan I have managed to get almost all of it back on my own, no fighting with anyone, no states attorney and even if it was placed.

So I am not the *** who let them *** in while I was looking for a cheaper way. I am the smart women who just learned how to level the playing field in my own way and I'll be damed it worked!

View more comments (3)
Tags
  • Aspen Dental Baltimore

Aspen Dental - Dental Services Review from Port Richey, Florida

1.7
I had a cracked tooth looked at,required root canal.agreed to price.on my second visit they added a "lab charge "125 dollars. Couldnt explain why,just said thats what it is.tried to hard sell me 5500 dental work.paid the extra 125,got my crown and roit canal,but feel taken! Thats stealing!

Aspen dental will soon be charging extra for the water they spray in your mouth. Run away or get screwed again.

No honest dentist charges a "lab fee." Lab charges are included in the price of a crown. What happens is this: some ridiculous insurance plans have fees so low no dentist can make any money. So A$pen has a fake fee for a crown, and ups the take by charging an outboard lab fee.

Crooks will be crooks!

Aspen Dental in Roseburg, Oregon - Excellent

5.0
Really showed care for my visit
Good customer service

Aspen Dental - Upper dentures

went in for a free evalulation I needed 4 uppers removed so I can get a plate after the evaluation they sent me to their loan office.They will finance me cause I had no insurance.They were going to charge me $3200 plus interest for the cheapest upper plate they make.what we found almost any company would only charge only $1150 for the whole deal.what we can see is there ripping off the insurance companys and anyone that don't have insurance.they are like a chan store and a loan company.they make money off of what they loan you for a quick buck.like most there her today and gone tomorrow.good luck

Aspen does more business with labs in china than the US. Aspen loves to scam.

THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW BEFORE YOU EVEN LET ASPEN Dental open your mouth

1. Look at the amount they are charging you for the care plane only....Add it up..

It is wrong from the get mine by 1000

2. Then add the insurance given any discount....Subtract those from care plan wrong again.

Have your insurance look at the plan before you open your mouth. Running away is a better option

3. Look at your root cannel it is an all inclusive procedure nothing pins nothing should be added

Same with crowns for the most part ..look out for 5530 and 2950 ada codes 3 Between padded bills and coding cannot call them errors so will say intentional errors. Please know you do not have to have the best crown , which is what they all for first., second know that my "discount dental plan could give a *** if I had comfy lite or a slab of plastic in my mouth 500 is what they'd pay and that was it ...Aspen agreed to that for dentures nothing else no difference in amount. So good look at close 5230 ADA codes. Its ok when I saw where the aspen train was heading it was a quick bail.

Dentures returned in 2 days receipt received signed by office manager. reicveded full discount 5 DAYS LATER(dentures only) Insurance co is still going for the rest of my money. To that end I went to "A turner in Pikesville Md to fix it.

he did so in 1 hour for 125 and then I will get micro implanted top denture fore 2000 and this is a super dentist. Email elleyalater@gmail.com if you want to talk because this place is not a god place

I don't know any dentist who would remove four teeth, smooth the bone, and construct a denture for $1150. You must be off your meds and hallucinating.

A more normal figure would be about $2500 here in Kansas.

But you are right about A$pen being like a chain store. Because it is a corporate chain clinic owned by private equity investors instead of dentists. Not a good place to go if you need dental care.

Sounds like you are out for the cheapest you can get.

So I can predict that whatever cheap butcher shop you end up in, your next complaint is that you have a new denture that fits like cr@p and you cannot wear or chew with. You get what you pay for, dude!

@Seasoned Dentist

So you are saying if Aspen Dental charged him 25000 for his teeth it be ok. Is that right DUDE?

Also Aspen dental is not cheap, barely legit and pray on people who have to see a dentist . So you go in and are basically conned first then swindled.

Kind of a *** response to someone who had no idea of what he walked into.

Himself and the thousands of others actively involved in lawsuits with this company most likely did not stand a chance with the OM who is given a crash course in ripoff and schmooze...I work there I know

@K.Bar

I am saying that extracting teeth, doing bone contouring, removing surfacing bone chips, and constructing dentures is a lot of work. It won't come cheaply if done right.

The only place to get quality treatment done cheap is at a dental school. That means a lot of travel and a LOT of long appointments.

Yes, it is sad when unsuspecting patients are swindled by Wall Street vipers who have no business owning dental clinics. But money buys off politicians and regulators. Just wait until these crooks succeed in getting their dentists on state boards of dentistry.

You ain't seen nothing yet.

Bottom line for the lay public- NEVER go to ANY health care provider that advertises on TV.

An MD friend of mine worked for a medical clinic advertised on Hispanic TV and found the same sort of swindling going on. TV ads = crooks desperate for patients to fleece.

View more comments (4)